Want to sell a jointly owned inherited farm, but my sister wants to keep it

I presume that she has some emotional attachment to the land?

It seems impractical to hold onto it if no one wants it.

How recently did you inherit it?

If it was very recent, she might still be grieving over whoever left it to you, so maybe give her time to grieve and then sell it.

But absolutely don't sign it over to anyone else.

Brendan

I presume that she has some emotional attachment to the land?

It seems impractical to hold onto it if no one wants it.
I think you've misread the situation here Brendan, nobody wants to hold on to the land. The OP's sister is suggesting splitting the proceeds equally between the children, not the land.

We now are thinking it's best we sell it which we agree on but my sister has mentioned splitting it with our kids she has 4 boys late twenties early 30s and I have two ages 6 and 7.

Either way, this thread has gone on long enough. You own 50% so your sister can do what she likes with her half

Unfortunately no it's a kinda sad really. Jst my sister and I. No body interested in farming
Well then it should remain 50/50 as per the will. The grandchildren weren’t included in the will it seems so are not relevant.

Either what’s being discussed is splitting ownership of a plot of land five or six ways across two generations. That’s a recipe for massive trouble down the line over very little.

You and your sister should instead sell up and do whatever you please with the money.

We now are thinking it's best we sell it which we agree on but my sister has mentioned splitting it with our kids she has 4 boys late twenties early 30s and I have two ages 6 and 7.

I think you've misread the situation here Brendan, nobody wants to hold on to the land.

Ah, ok. I thought.

We agreed to sell the land.
But now my sister has mentioned splitting it ... I took "it" to be the land.

The parent has left land to two people. And one is suggesting gifting the proceeds to the 6 children equally?

Depending on the amount involved, it would be very inefficient for tax purposes as it would be a gift from the OP to her nephews and nieces.

Brendan

It sounds like a cheeky try-on. Pool the money and split it six ways.

Watch that one. She sounds like a chancer.
...but not 6 equal amounts. OP's entitled to 50% so if the proceeds are to be divided after sale, it would be 3 sixths between his two and 3 sixths amongst her 4 kids.

Last edited:
Can the land not be split into two 25 acre parcels and she can do what she wants with hers and you sell yours?

25 acres would still be of interest to local farmers

Back