Walnut Stairs and Engineered Floors for New Build- Wearability??

BMD

Hi,

I am interested in installing walnut stairs and 1 engineered floor in my new build.

I just want to enquire about its wearability? A few people have warned me against walnut as when it scratches (e.g., stone on your shoe), it comes up as a very visible white scratch.

I really would like to go with the walnut as I am not a fan of having oak everywhere in the house but at the same time I dont want to regret it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

hi BMD,
Walnut is a soft Hardwood(yes, i know) and can dent easily.
Stilletto heels are a nono for walnut. If you have your heart set on it.Buy a clear wax stick and rub it in to any scratch and it will virtually disappear.

you cannot beat is for its elegant looks though...

Have a look at a wood called Jatoba.

Its a lovely dark rich colour, a little like walnut and it very hardwearing.
It is harder than oak.

A friend of mine had jatoba floors for 5 years and they looked brand new.

Have a look at the official rating for the hardness of wood floors, to help you decide on a wood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

Last edited:
Have a good look at what people have done in the past.
If you want to do something different, try to see current examples of it in action.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back