VHI Waiting times (children) changing policy

luna

We are currently insured as a family with vhi and have had no insurance break periods for the past 15+ years. We changed from policy pmi39 14 on 1.1.18 to pmi43 16. We have changed between insurers over the years but have been with vhi for the past 5 or 6.
Today I got referrals from my gp for my children (orthopaedic in nature). There isn't anything definitive to look at. Rather it's just to investigate something that their dad and I are concerned about. Possibly inherited, we don't know. The relative was unaware himself until last October and so we think we should just look into it.
We are a bit worried though 're the pre existing aspect of the policy. How does this work?. If this is a previously undiagnosed pre existing condition how long before they are covered with the new policy? I think both policies are similar in nature.
I'm obviously hoping there's nothing to it all.

luna,

If this is a previously undiagnosed pre existing condition, they will be covered straight away for both public and private hospitals as both plans
are similar - so you switched from like to like. The uncertainty is regarding hi-tech hospital cover. The previous plan PMI 39 14 had no cover for
Blackrock Clinic or Mater Private so strictly speaking, a 2 year upgrade waiting time would apply for these two hospitals, if its classed as a pre-existing condition. If its classed as a new illness, there is cover for all hi-tech hospitals with no waiting time applied.
There is no waiting time applied to day to day cover for pre-existing conditions so this cover is allowed straight away.

Regards, Snowyb

Back