Voluntary Redundancy - company phasing out my position, should I approach them about redundancy?

Emer12

Hi. I'm working for the same employer for 15 years. They are phasing out my supervisor grade and bringing in a management one. I interviewed and didn't get it. I'm thinking of approaching them about voluntary redundancy. My job isn't at risk but the whole process has got me thinking of professional masters training and how to fund that. Any idea if voluntary redundancy is an option here?

No idea, you work there so you would know if a severance scheme has been agreed or negotiated with employees, a scheme must be open to all employees, If I were you I would ask, if it is a small business and you have been effectively replaced they may facilitate you at their absolute discretion, no entitlement.

Thanks. There isn't a scheme open to all employees. I will check it out further with them.

Also. There are three of us at this grade. So they might consider offering it to all of us at the grade they are phasing out.

What do they intend to do with the three of you when the do away with the grade? Are you being offered other positions or what?

I would just want to be sure they intended keeping you on or wanting to at any rate, otherwise if they were hoping you might leave an indication to them that you wanted redundancy might make them hope you would eventually leave of your own accord, thus costing them nothing.

Back