Visa Electron Card

Ryanair charge €5 per person per flight in a credit card charge. So for a return flight for 2 people that is a €20 credit card charge.

By using the Entropay card you are saving this charge. So if in your example you transferred 100 euro to pay for flights you are over €15 up.

I got my 'electron' card, as stated in a previous post, waited until the prices were good, and hey presto, I get this message when I go to pay with it
Payment Error
Your card payment could not be processed because of one of the following reasons:

1. You have mistyped the card number or missed out some of the digits. Please go back to the previous (Payment) page and re-enter the card number again.
  2. The card type you have specified (e.g. Mastercard, Visa, Visa Electron) does not match the card number supplied. Please go back to the previous (Payment) page and check that the card type selected is correct.
  3. You have incorrectly entered the Card Number into the Cardholders Name box. Please go back to the previous (Payment) page and re-enter the Card Number in the correct box.
  4. You have incorrectly entered the Cardholders Name into the Card Number box. Please go back to the previous (Payment) page and re-enter the Cardholders Name in the correct box.
Click this button to return to the Payment page.

Anyone that was successfull, could you please tell me where I am going wrong.

lyonsie , I had a similar problem. What you need to do to overcome it is register for a £STG card with a UK address. This will give you a Visa Electron card number commencing with the digits 4101. Then you can book Ryanair without the cc fee. If your virtual card commences with digits other than 4101 you have a regular pre-pay Visa card which will incur the cc fee on Ryanair.

Will try that straight away. Can I transfer my 15euro that I opened it with to the new one...
Is it possible to make up a UK address or will I have to use a friend or relative.

Will try that straight away. Can I transfer my 15euro that I opened it with to the new one...
Is it possible to make up a UK address or will I have to use a friend or relative.
Yes you should be able to transfer between cards , they take a fee , I think its 2%. If possible use a UK address and phone number that you can stand over. I used a contact from work , with their permission. Entropay may decide to lock your account until its verified. In my case it was verified within 20 minutes.

Sorry I am a little confused.

Go to the Entropay site, sign up for a virtual card and load it from my regular credit card. But to make sure that I have GBP Card (starting with 4101). This means that I will have money in the form of pounds on my virtual card.

Then goto Ryan air book my ticket, pay with visa electron and payment will be in Euros. So does that meant the Visa virtual card will convert from Euros to pounds and deduct from my card?

and the only real cost is 4.95% commission on the amount loaded,correct?

thanks

I don't think this is as good as everyone thinks.... you're missing half the charges.

First of all, when you load the card you are charged 4.95% commission.

Second, because you're using your Euro based credit card, to make a STG payment, your credit card company will charge your a charge. MBNA charge over 2%. I'm pretty sure the correct figure for MBNA is 2.75% (Could be 2.5% but I'm not reading the small print again!)

Third, if you look at the fees for EntroPay they say that they charge you 2% for payments in a different currency to the card. So when you purchase flights from RyanAir in Euro on your STG Electron Card, you are paying a further 2% in charges.

So that's 4.95% +2.75% +2% = 9.7% But worse that that, you're paying % on percent.

Therefore your flights are costing almost 10% extra. Now if your flight cost €50, you're end up paying almost €55 after charges.

Follow me though on this one.
Lets suppose your flight cost €50 with RyanAir.
In order to make this payment with your STG card Entropay will require a 2% foreign currency commission, which means that you must have the STG equilivant of €50+2% (€51) available on your Electron card.

In order to get the Stg equilivant of €51 onto your Electron card, you must transfer €51 plus their commission of 4.95% (€2.52) which means your total transfer must be €53.52.

Not to transfer €53.52 worth of stg from your own credit card, your own credit card company will charge you a foreign exchange commission of 2.75% which means that you actually pay €54.59! And that assums tha that the exchange rate hasn't moved while you make these transactions.

It would still work great for the low cost flights, but not very well for the higher cost ones. If the flight was over €100, you'd certainly be better off paying the credit card charge!

So for me, I'm still looking for another solution before my MBNA gift card balance runs out...

I for one only want it for the cheap or free Ryanair flights where the cc charges cost more than the flight. It is not worth it for anything else.

I for one only want it for the cheap or free Ryanair flights where the cc charges cost more than the flight. It is not worth it for anything else.
Totally agree , its a very useful tool for booking cheap flights.
Yesterday , for example , I was able to book 12 kids on flights to see a football match in the UK with Entropay for a total of €180 (plus about 5% in fees) , to do the same booking with my regular credit card would have cost €120 more with cc fees.

I was unable to get an entropay card as they don't allow US issued credit cards for funding. I don't really know how to get a non-US issued card here in Germany.

I was unable to get an entropay card as they don't allow US issued credit cards for funding. I don't really know how to get a non-US issued card here in Germany.
You can fund it by bank transfer from any bank.
Entrypay are also bringing out a Prepaid Mastercard (Plastic Card) in February 2009.

If you live in germany you can easy get a local prepaid visa from the likes of [broken link removed] or [broken link removed] or even a debit mastercard with german IBAN from .

But as you want to use something for Ryanair, why not get a German Visa Electron from [broken link removed] or your local "Sparkasse"?

Can those german accounts for applied for by Irish residents?

You can fund it by bank transfer from any bank.
Entrypay are also bringing out a Prepaid Mastercard (Plastic Card) in February 2009.

The prepaid mastercard is now available (cost is 4.99 £) and loading it costs the same as the virtual card (4.5% if from credit card and 3.95% if from bank account).

The card is not replacing the Virtual Visa it's complimenting it so that you can access your funds also via an ATM or in a shop.

But with a 10€ depature tax now even on 1€ Ryanair flights question is if you still need entropay at all.

The prepaid mastercard is now available (cost is 4.99 £) and loading it costs the same as the virtual card (4.5% if from credit card and 3.95% if from bank account).

The card is not replacing the Virtual Visa it's complimenting it so that you can access your funds also via an ATM or in a shop.

But with a 10€ depature tax now even on 1€ Ryanair flights question is if you still need entropay at all.

With regard to the 10€ depature tax , if one gets a foreign resident friend (for example in Holland) to buy return flights to Holland for me in my name , do I still pay the tax or does that tax also apply to non resident purchasers ?

Back