Visa and Mastercard differences?

Mag2006

This post may annoy some people but what are the differences between Visa and Mastercard??. I have a Visa and I remember when I was applying for it I had to tick a box whethere I wanted Visa or Mastercard. Was talking to a friend about it yesterday and we were wondering, is there a big difference at all???.

Re: Visa and Mastercard differences??

They're basically the same. Conspiracy theorists believe they are the same company as the owners overlap so much. ;)

Re: Visa and Mastercard differences??

If you do online gambling Visa is advantageous as you can withdraw to the card where as I'm pretty sure you can't do that with MC.

Last time I checked (1997) Mastercard was slightly more acceptable worldwide than Visa - a lead of 50.1% to 49.9%.

I have occasionally seen merchants that only take visa

for example look at this order form, I randomly found via google
http://www.omnicron.ca/httpd/order/mail.html
it might be a canadian thing, back in 1998 I bought "gasoline" in canada and the machine didn't like my mastercard but did like my visa, both were from AIB.

so combining these minor points and the gambling one above, and I suppose you can conclude that Visa is slightly more desirable.

I went travelling around the world for a few months recently and in some out of the way places such as some towns in Argentina, often the only card they would accept was visa, not mastercard, not even my AIB ATM card. It was the same in Hanoi airport. Without the visa card I'd still be stuck there!!

I've had a VISA card for years, and the wife has always had a mastercard. Most of the time both can be used, but we've been in countries where they've only accepted VISA, (Vietnam for some reason). For the World Cup last summer, they only accepted Mastercard if you wanted to buy tickets, otherwise you had to send off a bankdraft to get your tickets. My wife still ribs me about her having to buy the match tickets for myself and 3 mates.

I find that VISA is more likely to be accepted but it hs been very seldom I could not use a Mastercard

Back