VHI Teachers Plan (as an alternative to VHI B Options)

I finally received my documents from VHI today regarding my switch from Plan B options to Teachers plan for Hubby & I .I am delighted to see the cover is almost identical to Plan B/ B options. The cost was indeed 772 Euros each which was a massive saving of over 1,000 euro for us. Although I am a former teacher I was not aware Vhi had this plan until recently. But even I did not get the discounted rate. But I am not complaining, as I'm delighted with the amount I have already saved. so thanks to the OP and also to Nova Flare and Pj111 once again for your help & advice.

Thats good to hear Derry,

You have stated earlier that you are a retired teacher. I assume that your vhi contribution is deducted from your pension cheque, is this true?

aj

I enquired about this ...

If I want it deducted from salary I needed to apply by February the 8th last.

If I want to pay the whole amount by cheque/laser I have until March the 8th to apply.

Paddy, have you checked if you're eligible to join the Teacher's Group Scheme that VHI have set up? If you're a member of that group scheme and you pay by direct debit, you'll get the 10% discount.

There are details of the group scheme on the TUI's website here, but if you were/are a member of one of the other unions it would be worthwhile to check if the same group discount offer applies to them.

In any case, payment by direct debit should be an option for you as well. FYI, the March 8th deadline is because Teachers Plan is due to have a price increase on the 9th March.

From what Ive received from My broker, i think the Aviva Teachers plan offers slightly more for slightly less

I'd question what your broker says in terms of the pricing. According to the HIA website, VHI's Teachers Plan is €772 and Avivia's is €853. See [broken link removed]. What rates did your broker quote?

I'd question what your broker says in terms of the pricing. According to the HIA website, VHI's Teachers Plan is €772 and Avivia's is €853. See [broken link removed]. What rates did your broker quote?

It was around €660 for the Aviva teachers plan through Cornmarket

Ajapale I was a former teacher but I was a temporary one and in those days temporary teachers did not qualify for a full teachers pension on retirement. I was also a local government employee for 10 years too. Dont get a pension there either. My husband & I get state Contributory OAP. However I am a member of our local credit union so I joined vhi through their group scheme . Yes I pay E772 each VHI teachers plan subscription but I dont think I get the discount from vhi though. But I dont mind as its still half the price of Plan B options!!! We would not have been able to afford the latest price increase for Plan B options. it would have placed health insurance out of reach for us. We pay by direct debit monthly. it works out at E 29 weekly for both of us which is affordable.

Sorry i dont have euro sign on my key board have only £ signs and dont know how to get euro symbol. Not very computer literate !!!

Sorry i dont have euro sign on my key board have only £ signs and dont know how to get euro symbol. Not very computer literate !!!

Hold down 'Alt Gr' and press the number 4.

Re. Health Ins .... I'm going to give Cornmarket a ring tomorrow to see what they have to say for themselves (they offer a free comparison of all available schemes for teachers)

Hold down 'Alt Gr' and press the number 4.

Re. Health Ins .... I'm going to give Cornmarket a ring tomorrow to see what they have to say for themselves (they offer a free comparison of all available schemes for teachers)

Thats what I did today. Aviva Policy is definitely cheaper. VHI policy have also reduced some benefits. They are no longer offering all scans for example

It was around €660 for the Aviva teachers plan through Cornmarket

Hi Rustbucket,

Certainly that's a better price and it may have a little additional cover that VHI's plan does not have, but you could argue vice versa also! This is the thing with health insurance plans, it depends what it is you want from it. He could have been quoting Teachers Choice rather than Teachers though.

Patrick

Hi Rustbucket,

Certainly that's a better price and it may have a little additional cover that VHI's plan does not have, but you could argue vice versa also! This is the thing with health insurance plans, it depends what it is you want from it. He could have been quoting Teachers Choice rather than Teachers though.

Patrick

Absolutely agree with you. its all about what you want vs what they offer at the end of the day.

Thanks for that tip Paddy Bloggit atlleast I know how to do the € symbol now.!!! But I studied the Teachers Plan Benefits literature to day. It is very good indeed and will cover my husbands next angiogram in the Blackrock Clinic which is great. We are both relieved about that. As his last angiogram was €3,000 . Pretty expensive.

A word of warning: make sure that you make contact with your insurer to check that a procedure or scan is covered the way that you think it and that you are not subject to any waiting periods even if you think you have served all waiting periods. Upgrade waiting periods and outpatient waiting periods could be applied.

Thanks Pj111 will do that again first thing Monday morning. altough I was assured by the VHI agent when I rang to switch plans in february that he would qualify, I will check that out again now that they are not so busy.

Back