Health Insurance VHI Renewal

h3333t

Hi

I have VHI insurance which i needed for a surgery I did in last February, which based on the table of benefits is fully covered, the claim for it (including hospital and surgeon fees) will be posted to them by my surgeon, he told me that it might take a while (maybe months). My problem is that my renewal date is the 1st of May, which they sent me a letter for renewal (with even a higher price to the same plan). I’m not sure what to do now, as I honestly don't need the insurance now and can't afford paying for the whole year again.

My surgeon advised me to continue with the same plan since the price of the surgery is very high and to avoid any problems in future. So I’m not quite sure what to do now!

Any advice is appreciated.

If you are certain you'll never need hospital again then you don't need any health insurance. I'd strongly advice you to read that line again and you'll then know what you should do. If you think health insurance is expensive, try getting sick without it?

I have another insurance which will cover only basic things (through a company so wont have to pay anything) thats why i asked in the first place.
My plan is one plan extra

Thanks

h3333t,
Your claim will be covered based on the date of surgery and time spent in hospital, regardless of how long it takes to process the claim. So thats all sorted and taken care of.
The question remains whether to renew your policy on 1 May 2017 or to give up health insurance altogether. Is there a possibility of a need for a further related surgery in the future?
I would not be inclined to drop health insurance altogether. I would definitely consider changing plan to reduce costs. If you pick a plan with an excess, this means you agree to pay an amount only on admission to a private or hi-tech hospital, the plan costs less but you don't lose cover. Examples of alternative plans as follows;
1. One Plan 500
2. One Plan 250
3. PMI 40 15
4. PMI 44 16
Plans 1, 2 +3 cover all public and private hospitals while plan 4 also covers Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic. If you drop health insurance altogether you will have new customer waiting times if you take it out again in the future.

Regards, Snowyb

Back