Motor Very low pre-accident value of my car

zarat80

Hello,

I am having a small problem. Over week ago my car was hit by another car. It wasn't my fault all together and the other driver admit this. His car was insured by ZURICH. In my car 2 doors and wing mirror was damaged I got quotation from one garage for 1600 euro to fix it. I bought my car last year for 3500. It is 04 Nissan primera 1.6l. Last Friday i got a letter from ZURICH saying: "our motor engineer has placed a per-accident value on your vehicle of €1698.57 euro.
It is not even half of what I paid last year!!! They are offering me the money as they say it will cost too much to fix it!

What can I do in this case??? I wont be able to buy any car for 1698 euro ! My car is in perfect technical condition just passed the NCT test 3 mounts ago. I want them to fix it and they can keep the money!

Please advice

Raf

Go onto done deal and find the 5 closest cars to your in description and find an average price.If this is materially different from the pre accident valuation,then reject the offer as too low,and enclose your calculation of an appropriate value.You don't have to take their first offer.Incidentally,could you get the car fixed cheaper than a main dealer?

Cars sold in salesrooms are always more expensive (warranty etc) than private sales, make sure you check/compare trade adds on donedeals, adverts.ie if your car was bought in garage,

Have you the receipt for the car?

Cars sold in salesrooms are always more expensive (warranty etc) than private sales, make sure you check/compare trade adds on donedeals, adverts.ie if your car was bought in garage,

I don't have any receipt but check donedeal and other websites and the same car is priced at 3000-3800 euro. If they would offer me 2500 - 2800 euro I would thing about it but 1700 euro for drivable and technically good car is just a joke!

Hi,
I had similar offer from an insurance co. a few years ago. I went to the garage where I had purchased the car and asked him what he would be offering me if I was trading it in.

He quoted me what I considered to be the value and he put it in writing.The company paid this amount.
Best of luck take on the challenge. I would expect they would put you back in the position in which you were prior to the accident.
Browtal

I got a quotation only from one garage, Yes probably I could fix it cheaper but didn't try any other places as wasn't expecting this at all. They quoted me for one new door, new wing mirror and body work than.

Hi,
I had similar offer from an insurance co. a few years ago. I went to the garage where I had purchased the car and asked him what he would be offering me if I was trading it in.

He quoted me what I considered to be the value and he put it in writing.The company paid this amount.
Best of luck take on the challenge. I would expect they would put you back in the position in which you were prior to the accident.
Browtal

I hope they will do that otherwise I will take it farther. The other interesting thing it that after the accident they offered me a car from enterprise and I took it. I have it nearly 2 weeks now , it is 13 nissan qashqai. It looks like they are giving me 1700 just to cover their costs ...

Your car could be repaired to a good standard for less than €1600. If you have comp cover, you have two options here. 1) With the value of €1700 offered, ask what the salvage value is, should you retain the car. You would then, based on the figures, check the viability of repairing the car with second hand door and mirror at a much reduced cost than €1600. 2) Use your comp cover to have your car repaired, they will in turn recover costs from the other insurance company. I think €1700 is quite a low offer unless the car was in poor condition or very high mileage.

Using his comp cover will still result in the car been written off if the values are correct.

Your car could be repaired to a good standard for less than €1600. If you have comp cover, you have two options here. 1) With the value of €1700 offered, ask what the salvage value is, should you retain the car. You would then, based on the figures, check the viability of repairing the car with second hand door and mirror at a much reduced cost than €1600. 2) Use your comp cover to have your car repaired, they will in turn recover costs from the other insurance company. I think €1700 is quite a low offer unless the car was in poor condition or very high mileage.

The car was in good condition and with normal mileage. The salvage value of the car is 350 euro. I can keep the car and fix it myself - then I will get 1700 euro - 350 euro = 1350 euro if I am correct? Can I put this car straight on the road after is fixed??? Using the second hand parts I could have it fixed for around 600 - 800 euro give a guess

The car was in good condition and with normal mileage. The salvage value of the car is 350 euro. I can keep the car and fix it myself - then I will get 1700 euro - 350 euro = 1350 euro if I am correct? Can I put this car straight on the road after is fixed??? Using the second hand parts I could have it fixed for around 600 - 800 euro give a guess

The quick answer to your question is yes you can.

Not quite the same scenario but my car was vandalised and burned out a couple of years ago. I had bought the car not even a year earlier (secondhand roughly 3 years old). I was offered a disgraceful amount back from my insurance company. This had followed me having to hound them for a rental car which they refused to provide. The claims officer basically told me to like it or lump it so I asked for his supervisors details and faxed her in a very dissatisfied letter, along with a recent price list for a similar car from the garage I had bought mine in! I also included prices from carzone and done deal and stated my mileage etc. I told them that if they didn't get back with a reasonable amount I would be going to the ombudsman (I don't even know if he applies in these situations). The next day the claims officer knocked at my front door with a much more reasonable offer! Almost 3k more than the initial offer...

Back