Very cold bedroom - how to find if heat is escaping

If the builders are still onsite.....send them a blank cheque the next time they ask to be paid....

Check & consult with your Architect....insulation issues are afterall architectural issues....

Hi all,

Got the smoke pen and I used it first but wasn't sure if I done it right because I got a bit of a fright.

My OH done it today and got the same result.

We have draughts or leaks, whatever it is we call them, in and around all our new PVC windows and doors. These are just over a year old but the problem has been there since day one.

I will have to contact the supplier and installer in the morning. Not looking forward to this.

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Now I know why it seemed like a GALE under the sitting room door.

Theres been a lot of shoddy workmanship over the past few years. Nothing would surprise me.

Builders will skimp on insulation - remember there is no building control. Adherence to regulation is virtually self certifying by nature of the fact that that the builder pays the self chosen engineer to sign off on very few site visits.

If your room is cold - and its not above a draughty hall or garage - and you have good room insulation - high density stuff that is - then you probably have wall insulation problems - ie they used the old white crumbly stuff.

The other things builders skimp on are radiator sizes.

Describe the radiator size and the room size and I'll be able to tell you if the room will ever get warm. If its small and single panel its probably not big enough to heat a main bedroom.

If the main bedroom is above a heated room it should be tepid just by passive heat rising.

I have an old house that I renovated, and the only double glazed window in the house was in my south-facing kitchen, yet it was freezing. Turns out when the builders installed it they forgot to seal it on the outside wall, that's why there was a gale force cold wind (which also sucked itself under the door of other rooms). I got onto my builders, they came out and fixed it no problem - and no charge, it was just an oversight in a large job otherwise very well done.

However I did also have a very cold master bedroom for a while, before I discovered it was coming from the hot press, as there were gaps around heating pipes coming down from the attic, and the hot press door wasn't a snug fit - it's probably unlikely to be the prob in a new build, but it could be worth checking out.

You can get a blower door test & thermographic imagery tests conducted. Will cost €450-€550 or there abouts but is effective enough to pin point sources of these kinds of problems.

is there a minium standard of insulation that has to be put into an attic my house is a new build but when i was up in the attic the other day there was a few gaps either side of the insulation and the joists?im going to have to put more insulation in but i just wanted to know if there is a certain standard that the insulation in the house sould be up to

I am no expert, but aren't some gaps in the insulation required? Your roof still has to "breathe".

what type of roof, is it tyles? most common cause of draft is trough atic check there first, maybe hole in felt somewhere.

K-man

Got the smoke pen and used it. Its after showing up a lot of problems with windows and doors. Am starting new thread for a bit of advice if you would like to check it out.

I used Smashbox link to get the smoke pen. Had it within a week.

(Thanks Smashbox :))

K-man

Got the smoke pen and used it. Its after showing up a lot of problems with windows and doors. Am starting new thread for a bit of advice if you would like to check it out.

I used Smashbox link to get the smoke pen. Had it within a week.

(Thanks Smashbox :))

Your welcome, glad to help.

The link I gave carrielou for the smoke pens is here :
[broken link removed]

As I may or may not have mentioned, I have no affiliation to that site or the company. I'm not into advertising.

And her new thread is located here :
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=100402

Back