Vera Pauw.

Irish rugby operates in the equivalent of a pub league compared to our national football teams. There's no comparison around the levels of competition they face and the path to the top in those sports.
That's surprising. I thought that there's more money and competition in men's international Rugby than there is in women's soccer. That said I presume this years women's soccer final was the most watched so far.

Irish rugby operates in the equivalent of a pub league compared to our national football teams. There's no comparison around the levels of competition they face and the path to the top in those sports.
This is such nonsense. The standard of professional men's rugby is infinitely higher than women's football.

I don't understand the surprise. The players clearly disliked her immensely her for whatever reasons, and as soon as that's the case the manager's days are numbered. She threw so many people under the bus unnecessarily in interviews so I can understand why the girls in the dressing room wouldn't really respect her.

Her recent statement is embarrassing. She seems to think she had some divine right to a new contract, which is especially naïve given the stuff coming from the US pre-tournament and the clear dislike of her from the players as could be seen in interview after interview. She also seemed to think that the FAI had some sort of obligation to sort her contract situation out before going to Oz? We've been burned by that approach in the past with the men's team.

Last edited:
I don't understand the surprise. The players clearly disliked her immensely her for whatever reasons, and as soon as that's the case the manager's days are numbered. She threw so many people under the bus unnecessarily in interviews so I can understand why the girls in the dressing room wouldn't really respect her.

Her recent statement is embarrassing. She seems to think she had some divine right to a new contract, which is especially naïve given the stuff coming from the US pre-tournament and the clear dislike of her from the players as could be seen in interview after interview. She also seemed to think that the FAI had some sort of obligation to sort her contract situation out before going to Oz? We've been burned by that approach in the past with the men's team.
So name someone who has a perfect background. Besides do you not think that the team played well in the World Cup?.

So name someone who has a perfect background. Besides do you not think that the team played well in the World Cup?.
As a country, we should really moved on from open-bus parades to celebrate gallant losses.

The team did okay at the tournament. They did well to get there but they didn’t exceed expectations either.

I’d agree that Pauw’s latest statement is revealing. My sense is that she’s difficult to work with.

In any case, she deserves to go for that embarrassing dance she did on stage at the homecoming event.

Are you just ignoring the rest of what I said? A manager doesn't need a perfect background but her previous coupled with the clear dislike of her by every player is evidence enough of the type of character she is to deal with. Her term ran its course. Her carry-on yesterday and today is proof enough that the FAI has done the right thing.

The team played just about OK in the World Cup. Losing 2 and drawing 1 game whilst scoring one freak goal along the way isn't exactly setting the world on fire. The tactics were turgid.

This is such nonsense. The standard of professional men's rugby is infinitely higher than women's football.
Not nonsense at all. The poster I responded to referred to 'other team sports' and not women's teams only.

I'm merely pointing out that rugby operates in a world of maybe 12 teams where only 3 of them (and that's even managing to incl England despite their best efforts at this time) are at the top consistently and the rest fluctuate to great degrees in terms of form, performances etc.

Men's, Women's, underage teams of both sexes in football operate against a much much larger pool of teams in a global sport

Not nonsense at all. The poster I responded to referred to 'other team sports' and not women's teams only.

I'm merely pointing out that rugby operates in a world of maybe 12 teams where only 3 of them (and that's even managing to incl England despite their best efforts at this time) are at the top consistently and the rest fluctuate to great degrees in terms of form, performances etc.

Men's, Women's, underage teams of both sexes in football operate against a much much larger pool of teams in a global sport
That's nonsense. The Soccer world cup is dominated by four or five teams. Nobody else has any serious chance of winning it. There are maybe 10-12 teams that are top level contenders. Ireland is no more a serious contender in the soccer world cup than Holland is in the rugby world cup.

Soccer is, by a considerable distance, the most popular and valuable world sport (Cricket is second) but Rugby is played by 10 million people worldwide and over 120 countries have national teams. Globally it is far more popular than American Football.

Are you just ignoring the rest of what I said? A manager doesn't need a perfect background but her previous coupled with the clear dislike of her by every player is evidence enough of the type of character she is to deal with. Her term ran its course. Her carry-on yesterday and today is proof enough that the FAI has done the right thing.

The team played just about OK in the World Cup. Losing 2 and drawing 1 game whilst scoring one freak goal along the way isn't exactly setting the world on fire. The tactics were turgid.
I saw what you said but all I focused on was you obvious dislike for Vera without actually saying it.
No one including myself expected the Irish to beat all in sight . Against the host nation and semi finalists they lost one nil hardly a bad performance. Against the fancied Canadians they played well enough to only lose one nil again. They drew against a strong Nigerian team.
A decent campaign in a group of death.
Vera also was looking out for the players when she took them off in that friendly before the tournament. Vera , in my opinion was a very good manager and should have been given more time.

Back