Vat

rebelcruiser

Hi,

I just set up as a contsultant in services industry. I was waiting 5 weeks for a business reg form and could not setup a bank account. I am now waiting for a VAT number. My accountant said I could send in a an invoice for 4k this time without VAT and we could say later on we thought we would not hit the VAT treshold later. Is this correct. Can I apply for a VAT nbr online?

But you have already applied for your VAT number, how then can you say that you thought that you would not hit the vat threashold? I don't think you can apply online, but a quick phone call to revenue to enquire about the stage your application is at might do no harm. If you or your accountant get the right person in revenue, he/she might even phone you when your vat number is ready. This might save a few days rather than waiting for it to arrive by post.

if i buy a van in the UK and bring it over here, do I have to pay UK vat?

Sorry worded this bad. I got the business reg from Friday. Have a meeting with the bank monday and then I can apply for a VAT nbr.

AFAIK, you will need to have your bank account number before you can apply for vat, as the number must be quoted on the TR1 form.

Back