Home Vacant House Insurance

noel123ie

Hi

Im currently trying to insure a vacant house for a relative.

Im having great difficulty with this I have got a quote from hibernian for 1,000.

House is only 700 sq foot bungalow dating from the 1970's but is in good repair

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks
Noel

Hi noel, the problem you're having is not to do with the buildings size or age, it's the fact that it is vacant and more susceptible to vandalism or theft and is seen as a much higher risk to take on. Is the bungalow a holiday home? If so this may help but it will most likely still be expensive also an alarm on the building will also help. All I can really advise is to shop around or try a broker but I'm afraid it will most likely be more expensive than standard home insurance.

Best of luck, Bear

if a pipe was to burst for example the damage would be substantial over that of an occupied house sot the risk is far greater so the premium will be far greater. Most insurance companies dont even quote for this

If you put down how often you visit the house & also just a suggestion that you turn off water at the mains when it's empty (for your own sake). But the house insurance - if you can get it - will be quite expensive.

Hi noel, the problem you're having is not to do with the buildings size or age, it's the fact that it is vacant and more susceptible to vandalism or theft and is seen as a much higher risk to take on. Is the bungalow a holiday home? If so this may help but it will most likely still be expensive also an alarm on the building will also help. All I can really advise is to shop around or try a broker but I'm afraid it will most likely be more expensive than standard home insurance.

Best of luck, Bear

Thanks the house is my aunts who now lives with me

ring Kidd Insurances in Dublin 14 - they have a scheme for unoccupied properties

Back