V.A.T. reclaim on purchases from EU zone?

Dinarius

I want to buy computer parts, to be used for a business computer, from Germany.

The parts are inclusive of German VAT @ 19%.

Can I reclaim this on my next VAT return?

I'm buying from www.mindfactory.de for what it's worth.

Thanks.

D.

Of course.

Thanks.

D.

Not sure why that should be obvious, since as a VAT registered person you should be able to provide your VAT registration number to the supplier and receive the goods zero rated from Germany. You are then obliged to account for the VAT at 23% on your Irish VAT3, and take an input credit for it if it relates to your taxable supplies. HTH

Site looks like a German retailer rather than a B2B or wholesale operation. They may not be geared to selling net of VAT.

Site looks like a German retailer rather than a B2B or wholesale operation. They may not be geared to selling net of VAT.

Thanks.

So, I won't be able to reclaim then, or will I?

The computer will be an entirely business expense.

Thanks again.

D.

Thanks for that.

Mindfactory is one of the most popular sources of computer components, simply because they are almost invariably the cheapest.

But, I guess that most of their Irish clients would be kids and students, who are not registered for VAT, building gaming machines and the like.

I could save about €300-400 on my build buying from Mindfactory, versus buying from the likes of Komplett.ie, who tend to be the cheapest locally.

But, the VAT reclaim route looks a pain!

Thanks again.

D.

This may not be the fault of the German retailer - moveable parts when sold in Germany attract German VAT. If these same parts when sold, were situated outside Germany, would not attract any VAT - German or otherwise.

You can make a claim up to a certain point in the following calendar year.

For the record........

1. Gave my VAT details to www.mindfactory.de
2. I was billed for the items less VAT.
3. Goods arrived ten minutes ago (via UPS) exactly as ordered.

Many thanks.

D.

Have your Accountant, or who ever is doing your VAT return, file a VAT EVR for you. You can reclaim the VAT directly from the German equivalent of the Revenue Commissioners.

Back