Utility bills accepted when opening new account

jph

Hi,

I wanted to open an account with Ulster Bank - just for lodgements and withdrawals - in opening the account I was asked for proof of identity and gave my driver's license; detailed six month statement of account with another financial institution showing saving record and was also asked to produce a utility bill in my name. My phone landline is with TalkTalk and this was the utility bill I produced but the bank clerk said that this would not be acceptable but couldn't explain why. I am just curious and wondered if anyone could shed any light on this policy?

Re: acceptable utility bills

I think they use the utility bill as proof of address. A mobile phone account does not suffice as you could conceivably have just given this address. I think!!

I opened an a/c with UB last week, and used Eircom bill for proof of address and it was fine. Once the TalkTalk bill had your address on it I can't see why it would be a problem. I do have an account with UB already though so maybe it was easier for me because of this. Have you got a Gas or ESB bill you can give them?

This thread deals with some similiar issues.

The information you need to provide should be detailed in [broken link removed], not sure it explains why the "Talk Talk" bill wasn't accepted, but it will provide you with other forms which will be ok. I'd suggest the P60 or P21 route for proof of address as they are forms you should/will have anyway.

thanks for the responses to this,

I went back to Ulster Bank to discuss this with them and the next staff member had no problem accepting the TalkTalk account as a legitimate utility bill and confirmed to me that as long as it was in my name with my address there shouldn't have been a problem. So all sorted now...

Back