Using Jack Lynch Tunnel To/From Cork

Leper

1. Expect some sort of delay during construction of the Dunkettle Roads complex.
2. Drive with a little more care and obey overhead signs within 1 Km of the tunnel. The overhead and road directions outside 1.5 Kms radius may not be accurate, so be prepared to change lane.
3. It might seem obvious to use particular lanes, but the obvious isn't obvious in Dunkettle (and you could find yourself heading for Waterford rather than Dublin) or on the city side of the tunnel. Destination lanes change depending on the work to be carried out and lane-changesseem to happen every couple of weeks. [Apologies for using the word "obvious" three times in one sentence].
4. If you miss the entrance to the tunnel driving to Cork, don't panic, you'll find yourself in the old route into the city. If you pass City Hall twice just stop and ask directions.
5. I don't have too much time for Cork drivers who almost fail to use indicators 100% of the time, but using the tunnel immediately before and after demands extreme patience. Be patient and don't become a patient. More forgiving drivers are necessary at that series of junctions.

Last edited:
Yes, experienced this firsthand last week. No excuse not to erect proper signage though, temporary or otherwise. Almost missed a medical appointment and stressed out my poor elderly mother even more.

Watch out for road closures, especially of a night, And watch out for speed cameras, especially as you head out towards Midleton and think you've left the roadworks behind.

In fairness, I have to say that given the magnitude of this project, the delays and upsets have been minimal.
I've have far worse problems with smaller, less well planned roadworks - e.g. anyone remember Killeagh a few years ago, 45 min wait for a resurfacing of a few hundred meters!
Dunkettle has been well planned and it shows.
But as Leper and others said, things change almost daily so you need to keep your wits about you - but don't worry if you end up heading to Waterford, you can get back to Dublin that way too!
Slan abhaile.

And if you do end up missing the tunnel and going the 'old route' into the city, watch out for very sneaky hand-held speed checks just after the roundabout. Hard to spot and absurdly low speed limit. Fish in a barrel stuff.

And if you do end up missing the tunnel and going the 'old route' into the city, watch out for very sneaky hand-held speed checks just after the roundabout. Hard to spot and absurdly low speed limit. Fish in a barrel stuff.
same applies as you are coming out just past Silversprings.

If you are wondering what lane to pick, go for the one with the most cars, you probably should be in the longest queue.

I think there is another 12 months or so in it. And now I am worried I haven’t spotted the sneaky speed checkers, here come the penalty points.

I am worried that coming from the N8 into Dunkettle the road splitting into the Waterford left lane and the tunnel right lane is the final layout. Funnelling everything into one lane does not sound workable, long term.

Definitely agree, Clamball.
Either it's provisional or they've totally underestimated the East-West traffic.
Most people just carry on in the outer lane & try to squish in further along - which isn't great.

Back