using Irish ATM card in Britain

P

Protocol

Does anybody know is there an extra charge to use an Irish ATM card to withdraw sterling at an ATM machine in Britain?

Proto

charges on Irish ATM card in Britain

There are no charges at the ATM for UK bank/building society customers and as far as I know unless your RoI bank slap on a "transaction charge" when it shows on your statement, you don't pay for withdrawing money here (as long as your card is VISA/Access/Switch etc. type of go-anywhere access)

Re: charges on Irish ATM card in Britain

For Cirrus (Bank of Ireland) the charge for non-Euro transactions is 3.5% with a minimum of EUR3.17 and a max. of EUR11.43.
If you can use the Maestro feature instead it is potentially cheaper at 1.75% Min. EUR0.46 max. EUR11.43.

AIB use the Link system in the UK and from what I can remember their charges are pretty similar. Can't find any info. on their site though.

Charges on Irish ATM cards

Generally there is a small basic charge when you use the high street banks. But beware, if you are using the new in-shop ATMs' that you find in a lot of the Spar's you tend to get a notice saying that you will be charged £1.50 for withdrawal. I took £30 out last week in the UK and there was a total fee (my bank and the ATM charge) of £3

Re: Charges on Irish ATM cards

But beware, if you are using the new in-shop ATMs' that you find in a lot of the Spar's you tend to get a notice saying that you will be charged £1.50 for withdrawal.
I don't think this applies in Ireland. I've used a number of in-store ATM's and not been hit with any charges.

The machines in shop usually have a message stating that there is NO extra charge for using them.

This posting is usefull
Irish instore atm machines do not charge any thing more that you are being charged by your bank.

You used to be able to use Pass cards in Midland (now HSBC) ATMs, and vice versa. Not sure if this is still the case.

Back