Using Abreviations on Askaboutmoney

Discussion in 'Suggestion box' started by roker, May 25, 2015.

1. roker

roker Frequent Poster

I was taught that when writing reports etc. that when using abbreviation, that for the first time the full name/address is made.
    I am constantly confused on AAM by abbreviation, ex. SVR, LVT, TRS, ETFs, and more. Can this not also be done as good practice on AAM to use the full name once at the beginning.

2. Duke of Marmalade

Duke of Marmalade Frequent Poster

AAM??

Purple likes this.
  3. STEINER

STEINER Frequent Poster

4. roker

roker Frequent Poster

Good one DOM

5. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Hi roker

An interesting suggestion. It would be very hard to enforce. People sometimes take offence at being asked to use meaningful titles and proper punctuation. I don't fancy asking them to adhere to a style guide as well.

You will find a list here

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/abbreviations-and-jargon-used-on-askaboutmoney.98940/

It might be a good idea to compile a style guide and asking people nicely to adhere to it. I probably wouldn't call it a style guide though. Maybe "How to write posts to maximise your chances of a meaningful response". But then I suppose it's about answering questions as well.

1) Guide to writing a topic heading
    2) Please provide as much information as possible
    3) Writing style - use of abbreviations - punctuation -

Fancy drafting it?

Brendan

6. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Frequent Poster

Or.......

You could just google any abbreviations you don't understand, it being the 21st century and all!

I googled each of the terms above, and (assuming you meant LTV rather than LVT) in each case the explanation was in the top couple of answers.

7. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Jon

Roker has made a very good suggestions. He and I know that it's usually easy enough to find something through internet searching. But a careful writer will make it easy for the reader. It's good practice to explain abbreviations and acronyms as Roker has suggested.

When a speaker on the radio says something like SVR, the interviewer is always quick to say - "SVR is the Standard Variable Rate". I will certainly try to do it on Askaboutmoney.

Brendan

8. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

Why not just adopt commonly accessible "internet and/or financial style guides or dictionaries" and provide links at the bottom of the post(s) in question or in the AAM FAQ? Why re-invent wheels?

9. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster