Using a chimney as a Passive stack vent

buyingabroad

Hi,

I'm still looking at the options for improving ventilation in our house. Have looked at MHRV and MEV thus far.

House is two story detached built in 1950s.

While it has been under my nose for a long time, I just realised that there could possibly be a solution using a chimney that sits almost in the middle of the house. The chimney is now blocked up.

It runs from the kitchen and upstairs the bathroom wall is effectively the side of the chimney.

My question: How feasible is it to install a passive stack vent within the chimney to release all moist air? Would I need to install ducting within the chimney? Or am I fooling myself with all of this?

For info, in the habitable rooms in the house I will be installing humidity sensitive hole in the wall passivents.

Many thanks,

B.

With the warm moist air travelling up the stack , how controllable would the heat losses be? Fresh air would come in through the vents in the other areas of the house. Would there be stagnant areas .would you then need to keep all doors open to allow air flow.

Not saying it wouldn't work but there are always other options.

There are single room heat recovery vents which are expensive but low wattage and will heat the incoming air with the warm outgoing stale air.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that the passivents would be able to control air inflow and outflow. My bigger concern was how could I get the moist air to flow through the chimney (without complications) or if I needed ducting in the chimney how this could be installed.

Back