Urgent Advice Needed: Mortgage Refused because I have bad credit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi so sorry to hear about this sad situation. I would consider selling to be honest no point being dragged down by a mortgage you can't afford when you have a young son to concentrate on. Owning a house is not the be all and end all and hopefully in a couple of years will meet someone and start over... Best of luck

Hiya as someone who has worked in credit control for 2 of the main banks I can't stress how important it is you go to MABS don't expect miracles but tell them about EVERYTHING all financial undertakings and anything else they will help you find the best available situation. But the most important thing is to contact MABS on Monday not in a few weeks or a few months. And be totally honest with yourself and MABS.

Thanks for the replies.
I will most certainly contact MABS and arrange a meeting with them.
Selling the house has been on my mind a lot and I know now, that owning a house is not everything. I suppose in my own way I saw it as stability for me and my son. My only other option is to go back renting should I sell the house. Not very appealing to be honest. I could be in a house 6 months, a year...the owner might want to sell and then I'm up and moving again. I fear that I'm not giving my son the stability he needs by doing this but I'm not fooling myself either by thinking that I can work just to pay the mortgage and have no money left over at the end of every month which = no quality of life for me or my son.
I suppose the current market is also something to consider. I could be trying to sell it for a long time, there are currently 139 houses for sale in the area I live in according to Daft.ie so it could take some time or a major decrease in the selling price to get rid of it.

I suppose seeking advice from a Family Law solicitor should be another priority.

I'm keeping on top of the Mortgage (apart from one missed payment in nearly 2yrs) and on top of the other bills also, but by the end of handing out all these payments there is nothing much left over. I also have an overdraft of €500 which I need to get rid of. I don't live a lavish lifestyle by any means, I'm not one of these people who try to 'keep up with the Jones's'
I drive a 9yr old car which is drinking oil....On the way out according to the garage unless I put a lot of money into it..Can't afford to repair this one or get a new one....I don't go out every weekend. Maybe one night in a month with my friends.

Now my ex is planning/thinking about going to Australia/America to start a nice new fresh life for himself. All the time his name will be on the mortgage and I'll be paying it clearing his name from the ICB List. I just find this so frustrating :(

I have asked for a pay rise in work and offered to take on extra work if available to get this pay rise..Nothing agreed yet until we see what happens with the Discussion on the National Wage Agreement.
Other than that I've no other ways / means of increasing my income.

Sorry for another long post. I suppose this is my way of just getting things off my chest....

I just pray for a better future and please God things will get easier in time and improve...

Guess I should have taken the advise of many others back then when suggested that buying with Start was not the way to go...too late now :(

bmg - Have you lookd at the possibility of renting out a room or two in your house seeing its only you and your child that's living there, it will generate extra income and may enable you to keep your home. If you are managing to keep up with your payments at the moment all you need is a bit extra so you can lead a reasonable quality of life.

To make a decision you need to hear all the advice good and bad. There is no point trying to pretend that everything will be all right, it's also probably frustrating when you have posters asking for advice, not taking the advice and then a couple of years later coming on here asking for help because they are in a worse situation.

OP if your ex is leaving the country I really think you need to see a solicitor to get him to sign over the house to you, or to acknowledge that it is you who is making all the payments on the mortgage so that you will in fact be the owner - that's if you decide not to sell the house. Also if he leaves Ireland how are you going to be able to get him to sign contracts if you decide to sell.

If you want the stability of owning your own place, have you considered selling the house and buying smaller place e.g. apartment, that you can afford on you own income? I'd agree that if your ex is planning leaving the country, you would be better getting him out of the picture asap as far as owning where ever you live. Selling would do this - you'd buy the new place in your own name. At the very least you need him to sign the house over to you before he goes, but something tells me that he'd probably want you to buy him out.

Renting a room is not an option at the moment. The 'spare room' is not furnished. I just don't have the extra cash at the moment to do it up.

Can I just stress that I'm not looking for sympathy from anyone.
I am merely looking for opinions / advice of those who possibly have been there before

Bronte, I have already posted myself that 'yes, I know I didn't take on board the advise given by some at the time' and without sounding a little rude, I don't need it pointed out to me again. However I do thank you for the advise given on your post.

There are a lot of complications.

Can anyone advise on the following:

If I was to sell my house, I would obviously need to be 're-homed' by the council as I will not qualify for another mortgage on my own, based on my salary. Are there any cases that people know of that the council will actually 'help' you to stay in your home?? I'm not in a town, I'm in house about 7mins drive from town. Is there any options there?

Last edited:
Renting a room is not an option at the moment. The 'spare room' is not furnished. I just don't have the extra cash at the moment to do it up.

Can I just stress that I'm not looking for sympathy from anyone.
I am merely looking for opinions / advice of those who possibly have been there before

Bronte, I have already posted myself that 'yes, I know I didn't take on board the advise given by some at the time' and without sounding a little rude, I don't need it pointed out to me again. However I do thank you for the advise given on your post.

There are a lot of complications.

Can anyone advise on the following:

If I was to sell my house, I would obviously need to be 're-homed' by the council as I will not qualify for another mortgage on my own, based on my salary. Are there any cases that people know of that the council will actually 'help' you to stay in your home?? I'm not in a town, I'm in house about 7mins drive from town. Is there any options there?

The best thing to do is speak to MABS or the Citizens Advice, at least they will be able to refer you to the appropriate people to deal with your case.

BMG, what awful news about your situation, very sorry to hear. i missed your post first time round in 06 and was really rooting for you reading through it tonight. (not a happy ending indeed!!)

i know you are probably tired coming home in the evenings, but is there anything you can do to boost income when baby goes to bed? are you good with computers/secretarial work? a lot of self employed / trades people are looking for people to organise their typing/files/invoices etc and this could be done in your own home and your own time. i.e. you would operate a virtual office for them, setting up gmails for them/ replying to customers on email/ phone/ sending out bills, organising payment etc. etc.. i know its small potatoes compared to the money you need, but you could use the money to buy furniture for that spare room to rent out to help you? it could be a short term solution to help get you on your way to solving the bigger problem.

i agree with earlier posters, you must urgently go to mabs but also to your local community welfare officer and also get some free legal aid re- taking the name of your ex off the papers. ring them all tomorrow and make appointments and go in with a positive frame of mind that these people want to help you. you need to be careful that if the ex goes on to pastures new that he may slowly stop paying maintenance and this will leave you in even further financial crisis with smart.

Were you married?

You mentioned that your partner had two sites on which he was to try to obtain planning- what is the current situation with that? Does he have any other assets?

Is the house the only property in your joint names?

Originally your partners father contributed the deposit- was this meant to be a gift? OR was it to be repaid- or was there any agreement in relation to it?

How much maintenance is currently being paid?

Have you spoken to your partner about his intentions as regards the house and future maintenance for his child if he leaves the country?

Too many details may make you more identifiable so if you do not feel comfortable putting too much information out there then I suggest you do make an appointment to see a solicitor. The Legal Aid Board may take on your case- you will need to apply to them and there can be a backlog so the sooner you do this the better. Otherwise a private solicitor but you will have to pay. In the long run it would probably be worth while going to a private solicitor at least for an initial consultation because if your partner does not put in place arrrangments for maintenance / the house before he leaves the country it will be impossible after.

Were you married?

You mentioned that your partner had two sites on which he was to try to obtain planning- what is the current situation with that? Does he have any other assets?

Is the house the only property in your joint names?

Originally your partners father contributed the deposit- was this meant to be a gift? OR was it to be repaid- or was there any agreement in relation to it?

How much maintenance is currently being paid?

Have you spoken to your partner about his intentions as regards the house and future maintenance for his child if he leaves the country?

Too many details may make you more identifiable so if you do not feel comfortable putting too much information out there then I suggest you do make an appointment to see a solicitor. The Legal Aid Board may take on your case- you will need to apply to them and there can be a backlog so the sooner you do this the better. Otherwise a private solicitor but you will have to pay. In the long run it would probably be worth while going to a private solicitor at least for an initial consultation because if your partner does not put in place arrrangments for maintenance / the house before he leaves the country it will be impossible after.

I will need to be careful about giving too much info but just to answer your questions,
We are not married, the money was not a gift and will have to be repaid. We only drew down a certain amount and combined it with the loan from his Dad. Work was to be carried out on the house, revalued and then we would draw down the rest of the money from Start to repay the loan to his Dad. I am not being put under pressure from his Dad. He is aware of the financial situation and would like to see other things being sorted out first.
We have no agreement in place for maintenance. I get between €100 - €150 from him most weeks, but not every week.
We have no other property in our names. All other loans are in my name even though we used the money for the house.

Audrey, I have looked into doing a typing service from home. Unfortunately I don't have a PC/Laptop so that would have to be arranged first. But thank you for your reply and input.

Thanks to you also Vanilla.

Just to mention I did phone MABS yesterday evening. They are sending me out a Pack but also I will be calling into their local office to have a meeting with one of the financial advisors.

Just on the issue of doing typing/office services at home. I don't think this is a viable option (sorry). It is something I have considered myself and the sorts of jobs you would get to do at home are so messy and labour intensvie it really isn't worth the hassle for the small beans you would get paid. Bad communication from customers, moving deadlines, re-writes, printers not working, no support for computer breaking down etc etc. You'd end up staying up till 4am trying to fix the tabs and margins right on a thesis some student has re-written and expecting you to complete for the same money. You would be adding extra stress and pressure on yourself and it wouldn't earn you enough to solve your problems. Only way it'd work would be if you could source some nice clean steady well controlled work (like legal reports or something outsourced from your own job) and had experience as a fast dictaphone typist. CVs, thesis etc from home - nightmare.

Just to mention I did phone MABS yesterday evening. They are sending me out a Pack but also I will be calling into their local office to have a meeting with one of the financial advisors.
Let us know how you get on with them.

Let us know how you get on with them.

Of course.

Sadie,
Just on the 'Home Work', I have given this a lot of consideration.
I don't have the equipment at home unfortunately so it's not something I can explore further just at the moment. But I totally get what you are saying. I work in an office, I know how these damn computers can let you down when you most need them :rolleyes:.
It is something maybe to look at when things are not 'so stressful' and I'm more organised.
Thanks though for your reply!!

You asked:
"Are there any cases that people know of that the council will actually 'help' you to stay in your home?? "

Yes!!!
Did you check with your Community Welfare Officer? They can help by paying a (sometimes substantial) portion of your mortgage for you each month.

Babog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back