"Upgrade" to Goodbody Online

Stocktrade in Edinburgh also has good commission rates. Check them out here...

Crest supply a - I.e. those stock brokers that provide Crest personal accounts as an alternative to using nominee accounts. Many of the non Irish firms accept customers from the EEA which would suit Irish residents.

An other thing that amazes me about the Goodbody action is that they have assumed the right to transfer the ownership of my shares (to their nominee co) without my signature. A failure to respond to the letter is considered as authorisation.

Now, in my book, I gave Goodbodys the right to transfer my shares without signature in order to facilitate online trading, but they appear to want to use that right for a non-trading purpose. If they can use such rights in this way, is it not possible that they could use the right to do other things. Many of the posters above have reminded us of the Morrough case in this connection.

Maybe the best approach is to take your business to a companY that appreciates it. If everyone does that then maybe we'll all get slightly better customer service. It'll be much better for the blood pressure in the long run.

Maybe the best approach is to take your business to a companY that appreciates it. If everyone does that then maybe we'll all get slightly better customer service. It'll be much better for the blood pressure in the long run.

Very true. I emailed Fexco with two simple questions:
Do they have an online sharedealing service?
If so, is it CREST?

I got a brief response telling me check out [broken link removed].

Why didn't he just e-mail "I'm too lazy to answer your question, I'll give you the URL of our website (which you have probably used to find our e-mail in the first place). PS I don't appreciate your business".

Further update on the above:-

Contacted the Financial Regulator - they suggest that I should contact the Irish Stock Exchange, and even offered to forward it on my behalf (I agreed). However, I note that the Red Book issued by the Financial Regulator implies that they regulate stockbrokers - with certain exceptions, and this is not one of them.

The Stock Exchange replied "the Exchange no longer has remit to investigate complaints by retail clients, I believe the correct person to forward this to is the Financial Services Ombudsman." They did say that they would "be contacting Goodbody to discuss this from a conduct of business viewpoint". Their subsequent reply, after discussion with Goodbody was that they "have discussed with Goodbody the matters raised and am satisfied that sufficient information was provided to you.". They suggested that I contact the Financial Services Ombudsman.

My understanding of the role of any ombudsman is that he intervenes on behalf of a citizen seeking redress for greviances and/or loss. I have suffered no such loss, and so I believe that the issue is not appropriate for the Financial Ombudsman.

I believe that there is not enough soap in the country to accomodate the level of washing of hands by people who should be attempting to achieve better standards of business conduct in this country.

As foreshadowed in previous postings, I have now opened an online stockbroking account outside this jurisdiction, and will keep you posted.

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody is still using "aib online share dealing". I'm not very happy with the recent changes (to nominee accounts). First, all my post has been stopped, including confirmation of my recent stock purchases. This really cheeses me off !!. Second, I dont know how dividends will now be treated ( credited to account, cash or scrip dividends). Third, my share records were removed from Computershare's website.
Has anybody recently transferred to another broker ?. I'm sure there are quite a few !!. And if so, what do you think of their service (and charges) so far ?.
If I transfer at this stage, is it easy to move, and will I be charged by AIB/ Goodbody ?.

Sharewatch has Crest personal accounts and low charges so if you transfer to them you'll see your shares in Computershare once again.

I am new but insterested in investing stock now. Can anyone explain to me what is CREST? Why it is important?

Back