Unmarried fathers claiming tax relief on maintenance payments for children

• Thread starter Holiday2006
  • Start date
H

Holiday2006

A friend asked me to find out if he would be eligible to claim tax relief on payments he makes to partner in respect of 3 children. He is unmarried. Would he need some formal agreement? I understand he has none but could arrange via solicitor as he pays c. 400 euro per month.

There is no tax relief for maintenance payments for children (just as there is no tax relief for the costs of raising a child when the parents are together). However, your friend should be able to get an increased tax credit as a lone parent.

That's great to get that feedback- can both mother and father (living apart) be classified as lone parents? Is the credit worth much? What does he need to to prove same etc?

The One Parent Family tax credit is worth (a maximum?) of €1,830. See [broken link removed]. I would imagine that only the parent with whom the child(ren) live full time can claim it?

I would agree Clubman- but maybe it is different if other parent is on social welfare etc and the one who claims is working?

both parents can claim the one parent family credit provided both maintain the child.

To claim the credit the child must spend at least one night in the year with the parent claiming the credit. The person claiming the credit must not be living with anyone else "as husband and wife" i.e. as a couple.

I love the way denial by way of living as husband and wife comes in to play when looking for benefits / credits only when it suits 'them'

Theoneil, Lest ther be any confusion Social Welfare theat a co-habiting couple in the same way as a married couple.

The revenue treats co-habiting couples as 2 singles - so no sharing of tax bands or SCOP

Couples (with children) living apart can both claim the one-parent tax credit (subject to conditions already mentioned) so their tax credits would be as follows:-

Mother Father

Single €1830 €1830
PAYE €1830 €1830
One-Parent €1830 €1830

Last edited:
Theoneil, Lest ther be any confusion Social Welfare theat a co-habiting couple in the same way as a married couple.

The revenue treats co-habiting couples as 2 singles - so no sharing of tax bands or SCOP

Sorry Black Sheep, that's what I meant. I wish both the revenue and social welfare were consistent. I should have explained myself better, my brain still thinks I’m in bed. :)

so does the unmarried father (paye worker) and mother(some social welfare being claimed i assume) need to be living apart to claim the lone parents?

Of course only parents living apart can claim lone parents. If they were co-habiting neither of them would be alone.
If father is working, PAYE worker, why would mother be claiming Lone Parents. Surely father is maintaining his children like any father whether married or not.

is there a tax credit for married people similar to this? seems a bit mad that 2 parents can claim for having to raise a child because they are doing it "alone" and are not married. But if they are both claiming it then they are not alone in that there are 2 incomes involved. WHat about where a married person minds the child 3 days a week and their spouse minds them the other 4 days?

is there a tax credit for married people similar to this?
No.
seems a bit mad that 2 parents can claim for having to raise a child because they are doing it "alone" and are not married. But if they are both claiming it then they are not alone in that there are 2 incomes involved.
That's what I was dubious earlier about both parents being able to claim it. My doubt was not based on any hard knowledge of the facts though! :eek:
WHat about where a married person minds the child 3 days a week and their spouse minds them the other 4 days?
The possibility of some level of Home Carer's Tax Credit perhaps?

[broken link removed]

No need to be dubious Clubman, Yes indeed both parents can claim the single parent tax credit as long they comply with the 2 conditions

It is unlikely that any level of Home Carers tax Credit would be available to persons working either 3 or 4 days per week as the income ceiling is in the region of €6000 per annum

No need to be dubious Clubman, Yes indeed both parents can claim the single parent tax credit as long they comply with the 2 conditions
Sorry - I was speaking in the past tense. My doubt was erased by the earlier posts and [broken link removed].
It is unlikely that any level of Home Carers tax Credit would be available to persons working either 3 or 4 days per week as the income ceiling is in the region of €6000 per annum
Yes - unlikely but still possible. And this does seem to be an academic query so I just thought I'd mention the credit... :)

In reply to sandrat a married person living alone and having their kids overnight at some stage of the year would be entitled to claim one parent credit but obviously not the married credit. A married couple who are both working could seperate ane live seperate and each claim the credit effectively doubling their tax credits.

I presume that claims for it can be backdated by up to 4 years as usual with most or all credits or allowances?

Does anyone know if the one parent tax credit can be backdated?

Yes, it can be backdated. Phone the SW helpline. I was given a refund backdated to the date when my ex ceased to live with me the previous year. We were on joint taxation & I was asking to be changed to sole. Very helpful girl asked me a few questions & told me I was entitled to a refund of tax. Got a cheque for about €4k which was very nice - mind you it & a lot more went on my Separation legal expenses, but that's another story !

Back