Unknown credit on account for small amount

odyssey06

I just noticed a credit for a small amount on my bank account - it is for less than 10 euros.

I don't recognise the reference, it's just a 6 digit number followed by a letter and the date e.g. "123456A 2017 03 01"

It doesn't appear to be from my employer, revenue or health insurance company as their transactions usually have something that identifies them.

I don't use this account for online purchases.

Should I be worried?

Why would you be worried?

Just notify the bank that it was credited to you in error. Let them deal with it.

Brendan

Yeah, nothing to be worried about.

Ask the bank what is is before you decide if the amount should be sent back to the sender.

and the date e.g. "123456A 2017 03 01"

Was the date of the posting 3 January 2017? If so, the credit could be bank interest for the prior year.

The date is March 1st 2017. The reference doesn't seem to be a PPSN (eight digits and one or two alpha characters) so Revenue and SW possibly ruled out.

Actually, just noticed there was a "GP" at the end, which I think means a standing order... so that rules out interest. And yes it's not a PPSN number.

I'll keep a close eye on the account and won't go on a spending spree just yet...

Mystery mostly solved... I had been overcharged, a price increase had been applied one month earlier, so this was a refund - needlessly obtuse by the financial institution to not include even their initials or my policy number.

It's great to see someone who manages their accounts so well. Many posters on here could learn a lot. I hate when something shows up that I can't figure out. The property tax DD was one of those for me a while back.

I actually wonder should it be compulsory to get your bank statement in paper every month rather than electronically. I bet many people don't even look at them.

I actually go through the process of reconciling various accounts monthly! Reading some posts in here I understand that I'm an anachronism. Isn't it ironic as the song says that the institutions that insist on having lots of paper "proofs" to substantiate your identity and address don't want to issue paper any more?

Back