Unfair Application of Pension Related Deduction?

Rocksteady

I worked in the Public service from 2008 to mid 2011 and contributed to the Pension scheme. Then of course the Pension Related Deduction was introduced when the economy hit the skids and I paid that as well.

In mid 2011 I moved jobs. Technically the job is still under the umbrella of the Public service but enjoys little of its benefits. In particular, I am not entitled to the Pension scheme. I was aware of this before moving. However, I was not aware that although I could no longer contribute to the scheme I would still have to pay the PRD. For the last two years I have been paying around 260 euro every month for the PRD. I have queried this with the Pension Department for my umbrella institute, the Dept of Education (who ignored me for a year) and the Dept of Finance.

It was explained to me that anybody working for the Public service (which technically I am) and who stands to benefit from a public service pension (technically I am) pays the levy. I understand this even though I think it is unfair. My main problem is two-fold.

1 - My 'benefit' under the pension scheme is very small. It is based on about 3 years service. Frankly, it will be dwarfed by paying €260 every month for potentially the rest of my career. In other words, being a 'member' of this scheme is going to cost me infinitely more than I'll ever get from it.

2 - If I wasn't working under the umbrella of the public service, i.e. if I was working in the Private sector, I'd be able to 'enjoy' this paltry benefit without paying the levy. It seems rather discriminatory this way.

I explained all this to the Dept. of Finance to no avail. As I am on a five year contract, they say that upon completion of the contract (3 years from now) I will return to my pensionable post and be able to contribute to the scheme again and build up the benefit. Even if this is true, it still seems unfair. As it is, it's an unlikely scenario. At the end of the five years I will have to reinterview for my post and frankly there would be little chance of me not getting it. If I didn't get it, I don't see myself returning to my old Public service job anyway.

Basically, I'm in a situation where I'm paying a very high levy for something I don't get and is of no practical 'benefit' to me at all. As it stands, the legislation is being applied correctly to me but seems grossly unfair. What I'd like to do is actually challenge the legislation in some way rather than just have these offices explain to me that it being applied correctly. But I have no idea how to do that. Can anyone suggest anything to me or comment otherwise on the situation?

I am of course happy to have a job in these difficult times but this doesn't seem right. Many thanks.

This seems a bit off the wall. You are paying for a pension that you are not accruing - basically you are paying for the pensions of others. If you moved to the privare sector and then moved back in 5 years this would not occur. Do other staff where you are pay the deduction?

I'm in an unusual situation. They recast a lot of the jobs when offering contracts so they could save money by not allowing people into the Pension scheme. I only have to pay the PRD because I am in the scheme from my previous job and my tiny preserved benefit is being held for me. Had it been less than two years of pension, they would have just refunded it and I'd be out of the scheme and wouldn't have to pay the PRD. Nobody else in my part of the institute is in this particular situation so I haven't been able to compare notes with them.

If you're a union member, the reps are often pretty good on these public sector specific issues.

Aye that's fair enough.

Does anyone know if this is the type of thing i might get a solicitor to look at for me? I genuinely think this legislation needs to be challenged. It's one thing if you have a big fat pension waiting for you but another altogether when the levy payments will outdo a miserly one.

Affects many people. I think someone should take a legal case however the unons hsve not stood up on it.

That is mad stuff. Have you contacted your TD's about this so they can raise it with the Minister?

Rocksteady.

Go to a union , normally they will @ least point you in the right direction.Be honest and say you didn,t join them.

If you think about things , Public Service employees would have been royally screwed without unions . Anyone in Public Service and not in a union should realize that the benefits they hold are due to Unions getting fairer conditions not management giving fairer conditions!

The unions are already aware of this well known flaw but are happy for this situation to continue as it'll bolster their case in getting the PRD removed, making the PRD fairer would be seen as a negative by the unions as it would entrench it further. The unfairer it is the better.

The unions are fairly relaxed in how outside staff are treated, for example a few years ago when many thousands of contract staff didn't have their contracts renewed the unions looked firmly in the other direction until they'd all gone and then they used the loss of contractors to show how much pain "their" workers had taken.

The unions are already aware of this well known flaw but are happy for this situation to continue as it'll bolster their case in getting the PRD removed, making the PRD fairer would be seen as a negative by the unions as it would entrench it further. The unfairer it is the better.

The unions are fairly relaxed in how outside staff are treated, for example a few years ago when many thousands of contract staff didn't have their contracts renewed the unions looked firmly in the other direction until they'd all gone and then they used the loss of contractors to show how much pain "their" workers had taken.

Reminds me of the trade unions attitude to young and graduate teachers.

Ashambles.

The Unions cannot fight all battles , to say they are {relaxed} is a bit unfair. .
Ask yourself , what would bad employers do if employers had a fully free hand !

Sunny. I agree that Trade Unions atitude to young teachers is simply wrong.

We'll agree to disagree.
......................................................................................

I think we can all agree on this;

It is the little guy who gets run over .

Blaming unions or even employers misses this .

All employees are entitled to expect that their long term savings ie pensions are largely protected in legislation.

Back