Unemployments Benefits Finished - What Now

Hi Walsh 101
Try putting an ad for 'work wanted' on the notice boards in the local shops supermarkets etc, people are always looking for someone to do odd jobs, it will keep him going until something more suitable comes up. The psychological effects of unemployment can be awful, the main thing is for you both to maintain a positive outlook and you just never know what is around the corner.

Thanks everyone for all your replies

Firstly Clubman, you ask if a moped would be economical to run and yes it possibly is but he would have to do lesson before he got a licence and these cost about €30 a go and then I would have to buy the moped which at the moment I can't afford as I have no way to pay it back. To clarify he was on Jobseekers Benifit my mistake I said Allowance .

Bacchus, you asked if he tried Cahill May Roberts, he used to work for them but was let go, in fact that was his last job.

Clubman you made the point if he could cycle to SW in Clondalkin, he tried it once but it took an hour there and an hour back as we live nearer to Leixlip than Lucan even though our address is in Lucan.

Finally to Eileen Alana he did up to notice in the local area about doing odd jobs but only got one or two jobs and we were also worried about the tax implacations about doing this.

I know that it sounds like I'm making excuses for every suggestion that is made but this is the reality of what is happening. We just keep coming up against a brick wall at every turn and I was just hoping that someone might come up with something we haven't thought off. But I appreciate people taking the time to read and answer my question.

Is he not able to cycle for an hour? It takes me 50mins to get to work on a bike. About 40-60 in a car. 2 buses takes about 1.30.

Clubman you made the point if he could cycle to SW in Clondalkin, he tried it once but it took an hour there and an hour back as we live nearer to Leixlip than Lucan even though our address is in Lucan.

BTW, there is (or used to be?) a SW office in Lucan village for signing in each month. Is that gone?

But sure he has the whole day to do the journey at the moment - he can take his time and take breathers along the way if necessary.
I know that it sounds like I'm making excuses for every suggestion that is made
It does a bit.

He was told to sign on in Clondalkin but will check out about the Lucan Village SW office.

Aircobra19 , its a two hour cycle in one go as once he has signed on, there is no point in hanging around Clondalkin with no money so he would be cycling straight back home. Maybe he needs to get fitter:)

Yes Clubman when his benifit finished he asked about Jobseekers Allowance but was told that I earn over the limit for him to get any allowance.

He was told to sign on in Clondalkin but will check out about the Lucan Village SW office.

AFAIK, there is no office in Lucan. If he was not getting payment, and signing for credits only (very important for future benefit/pension entitlements).

If he gets 13 weeks work with PRSI paid, he should re-qualify for another 15 months benefit which is w3hy it is important to continue signing for credits as a future claim in 2010 could possibly be based on 2008 PRSI credits record.

Thanks Welfarite, Will make sure come hell or high water that he starts to sign on again didn't realise how important it was

No not really its just that getting to the SW Office is such a hassle when your getting no money that he didn't see the point of going to sign on.

I just can not image somebody not doing anything all day.
What has your husband beeen doing every day for the past 17 months?

walsh101 - you say that due to a bus route that only starts at 7am there would be problems getting there for a job starting 8/8.30am. Could your husband not cycle to a better bus-stop that has an earlier route?

Moderator note: off topic post removed. If you want to start a discussion about long term unemployed then do so in a new thread. In fact there is at least one existing long thread on this very topic.

I just can not image somebody not doing anything all day.
What has your husband beeen doing every day for the past 17 months?

He has become a house husband :D good for me 'cos I don't have to do anything but pretty boring for him.

I don't follow either....
Do you have any kids that he minds all day? as he could claim for Home Carer tax credit instead of getting €0 from the dole (not an expert on the subject, just an idea).

Have you checked out this website:

There are warehouse operative jobs available in Clondalkin, which at an hours cycle for your husband would suit until he could get a better mode of transport?

Back