Ulster Bank - another "system failure"?

Mrs Vimes

My Ulster Bank mortgage was not taken this morning - does anyone know whether their IT system has crashed yet again?

Mine went out on the button. UB took it from my PTSB account this morning.

Update - they are indeed having problems - I rang them this morning and the woman I spoke to initially said no DDs had been taken, when I pointed out that that wasn't true she changed it to "a large number" of accounts affected. She said to leave the funds in my account and it would be taken in the next few days.

They really should have something on their website, or a press release or something :rolleyes:

why? Its not you are thinking this is your lucky once every 10 years free mortgage month! And go nuts spending! :eek::eek:

Hi peteb,

I obviously knew the payment was due and would be taken eventually and it was very little trouble to move it on to the next weekly column in my spreadsheet.

My difficulty was caused by experience of Ulster Bank. Last time this happened to me (outside of their regular system failures) I had to pay it manually every month for about 4 months and still got letters stating that I was in arrears. This was after a period of financial difficulty where we bent over backwards to comply with MARP, filling out SFS after SFS and talking to poorly trained monkeys in their ASU. We agreed interest only for a period and they took full payments every month. It eventually transpired that they had removed out tracker rate without even the usual rate change information letter.

The 6k or so compensation was nice in the end but I do still tend to get a little panicky when I think of that time so thought I'd post here to see whether it was their systems or whether the nightmare had returned :)

Meant to add - they finally took the DD today.

Now to write to them requesting confirmation that they won't report late payment to ICB - inaccurate ICB reports being another of their many delightful foibles!

edit - epic spelling/grammar fail:oops:

Last edited:
Meant to add - they finally took the DD today.

Now to right to them requesting confirmation that they won't report late payment to ICB - inaccurate ICB reports being another of their many delightful foibles!

Why would you write to them ?

Maybe you will be lucky and they will make an inaccurate report. That should be worth a few bob as well.

I must say I am impressed with your €6k, I settled for €1.5k.

UB would obviously rather fork out compensation that train their staff or fix their IT.

cremeegg said:
UB would obviously rather fork out compensation that train their staff or fix their IT.

I heard it put very well during their 2014 meltdown:

There are two stages in how management views IT:

1. "We spend a fortune on the best IT staff and systems and we have never had a major problem"

2. "But we've never even had a major problem, why are we wasting all this money on IT?"

guess where UB is?!

UB IT systems are now all part of RBS IT systems, UB have virtually none of their own. RBS were planning on selling off a large part of their branch network in the north of England and it was a massive IT project, costing in excess of €1b-€1.25billion. They've now pulled the plug on that project so the hope is that resources will be pointed at necessary upgrades.

UB IT systems are now all part of RBS IT systems, UB have virtually none of their own. RBS were planning on selling off a large part of their branch network in the north of England and it was a massive IT project, costing in excess of €1b-€1.25billion. They've now pulled the plug on that project so the hope is that resources will be pointed at necessary upgrades.

This episode made me wonder if KBC will ever merge with Ulster Bank or if PTSB will ever merge with Ulster Bank. Thanks to the state of the RBS systems, the IT cost of tying to integrate customers onto one platform would be enormous and may not be successful. The IT cost alone, may prevent any other bank ever acquiring or merging with Ulster Bank.

Back