UK Pension entitlement? Now living in Ireland

Fiona Howard

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me. I lived and worked in the UK from 1991 to 2011 and opted into pension schemes with 5 different companies and paid my NI contributions during this time (20 years). Are these private contributions linked to my National Insurance number or do I need to contact each company?

I now live and work full-time in Ireland and although I am 45 years old, I am worried about BREXIT and its implications on leaving the EU and whether my contributions during this period will still stand for the state pension and even at that, I'm very unclear about how I go about claiming my pension when it comes to my time to retire.

You will need to contact each of the companies you worked for, giving the dates you worked with them, NI number, address at the time etc. and requesting information on pension entitlements (if any).

Seperately you will need to contact the Dept of Work and Pensions about you State Pension.

In the meantime I presume you are paying Irish contributions (PRSI) and Company pension contributions.

Fiona ,
A few things.
(as per Black Sheep)
1. Your Company pension schemes are separate from your National Insurance contributions, you need to write to/chase up these pension pots.
(there is a uk system and companies that chase for you ,if need be)

2. Your 20 years contributions from National Insurance in UK are ring fenced.Once they hold your current address they will write to you.
(Go onto the UK pensions /tax website and you can get a printout , and request current rules.)

3. Blasted Brexit!
Unless Uk & Europe blow up into war all state contributions are safe , all company pension schemes are safe.
(What we have is uncertainty over values over time , it was always that way but with Brexit we are getting palpitations!)

4. In ROI , @ 45 you also have plenty time to maximize via your ROI contributions to get ROI pension.

What I read from you is that you will get
1. Amalgamation of company pensions.
2. Good part of UK state pension.
3. Most of ROI state pension.

From my reading you are in a good pension place.

Fiona, you can continue to make voluntary class three contributions towards maximising your British state pension. It will cost approx £60 a month. Google the necessary info from HMRC website.

Back