gnf_ireland

Extract taken from Richie Boucher's attendance at the Oireachtas sub-committee

McGrath - You have a 1.43% rate for two years in the UK
Boucher - Markets are different. WE offer 2% in Ireland
McGrath - 3% in the Ireland vs 1.4% in the UK
Boucher - It's probably broadly the same
McGrath - It's much more sustainable to be on a good rate
People find the 2% attractive

The problem with the headline rates quoted for UK mortgages is they fail to take into account what the customer rolls over onto. 1.4% for 2 years rolling over onto 4.5% is no more sustainable than the Irish scenario. In the UK, arrangement fees as also the norm, were we are moving to the norm of 'negative' arrangement fees in the form of cashback.

One thing that has struck me about the UK market is there must be a high level of switching/remortgaging/renegotiation done. The rollover rates are very high in comparison to the initial 'introductory' rates, which must encourage switching. If not, I wonder why that is? Is it the same reasons as in Ireland?

Would this model work in Ireland - so a 2/3/5 year introductory rate of say 1.5% along with a 1000 euro arrangement fee, rolling back onto a 3.75% rate?
I cannot see how large numbers of people would switch in the case they have to pay to do so, when the numbers are so low when they are in effect paid to switch.

I am sure a small percentage would switch every 2 or 3 years, but imagine it would be a very small number.

Anyone have access to the switching levels in the UK, or know where I could find them?

Hi gnf

The UK market is also strange. They, too, exploit people who don't switch. After the two year deal, people threaten to switch and then get the good introductory rate again.

But one can get good long term tracker mortgages. No incentives and I don't think that there are initial costs.

upload_2016-11-18_17-57-14.png

upload_2016-11-18_17-58-19.png

Back