Tv above fire

beekeeper

Hi,
We are undergoing a renovation and have installed a stove type fire in an existing fireplace.

We would love to put a tv above it built into the wall but are worried about the heat effects of the fire?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't have any knowledge of the effects of heat from stove on telly but if it were me I would be ringing the TV manufacturer and ask their opinion.

Another point is if you are semi-d you may need to keep the telly down noise wise. A friend is having terrible problems with neighbour complaining about noise from chimney mounted telly.

I've had mine above a stove for a number of years without any problems with the TV.

However, I dont think I will do it again in my next house. The TV is just a little bit too high for comfortable viewing. I think I would rather it at eye-level, unless I have a very big room.

I have a JVC tv mounted over a Stanley stove for more than eight years trouble free, I put a shelf below the tv and above the stove to contain the heat rising, I also have a tilt to the base of the TV, the tilt down puts the base of the tv closer to the wall and helps viewing, very happy with this set up but in general heat does kill tv's so do put a shelf in.

I have a JVC tv mounted over a Stanley stove for more than eight years trouble free, I put a shelf below the tv and above the stove to contain the heat rising, I also have a tilt to the base of the TV, the tilt down puts the base of the tv closer to the wall and helps viewing, very happy with this set up but in general heat does kill tv's so do put a shelf in.

Similar here. Have an inset stove with a now 8 year old Samsung telly above it, and a shelf below the TV - which is also beg enough for the centre speaker of the 5.1 speaker system.

Wooden shelf is a perfect insulator for the heat so no issues whatsoever.
The inset stove has a fan built-in though which blows the heat into the room which might help.

The inset stove has only been there for 3 years or so, before that it was just an open fireplace which I did not use a lot.
Definitely get a TV mount which allows you to tilt the telly forward. I prefer the telly mounted higher in any case as it is easier on the neck I find when slouching on the sofa.

Putting one above a heat source will likely shorten it's life span, by how much depends on the heat and frequency both fire and TV will be in use at the same time, along quality of the TV itself. All those little slots on the back of the TV are for heat dissipation to prevent damage to the internal components, put the TV in a warm place and the TV will run hotter, shortening the life expectancy of some of the internal electronics and the plastics used. As above, a shelf underneath will protect against the worst along with the added benefit of redirecting some of the rising heat convection current out into the room.

You mention building the TV into the wall, recessing it will help, but ensure there is adequate ventilation around it. Look at your TV manual, it will likely indicate minimum gaps recommended above, below, to the sides and behind your screen, mine foe example states a minimum of 10cm above and to the sides, and 7cm behind and below.

Last edited:
Back