TRS where there is no PPR

cookie

If I have rented out my PPR ( paid stamp, registered with PRTB and am paying tax etc etc ) can I still get the same level of TRS on this if I have no other property as I would if I lived in this?

Ill be going away for a while so will have a rental but no PPR.

No - this is an investment property and not a PPR. You can offset mortgage interest against rental income but you cannot claim owner occupier mortgage interest tax relief.

The investor tax relief on interest is given against the rent at your marginal rate, so for a 20 or 41% taxpayer it's worth 20 or 41% of the interest. TRS for OO is at 20% only so for a 41% taxpayer investor interest relief is worth more than TRS. There are also limits on TRS amounts but no limit on investor interest. Be aware tho that to claim investor interest relief the property must ber registered with the PRTB

"TRS" = "Tax Relief at Source" sometimes used specifically to refer to owner occupier mortgage interest tax relief at source. This has got nothing to do with offsetting interest on an investment property loan against rental income.

Since you are asking such basic questions about the tax treatment of a rental property you should check out the Property Investment key posts and FAQ and maybe get professional advice especially the one about interest only mortgages for investment properties to maximise tax relief.

Back