Wrong forum tips wanted rental accommodation London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamorna

Hello,
I am looking for a job in London (could be Canary Wharf, City, or Paddington) and if I do find one, I’d like some tips about areas where to rent a studio (max £800pm).
I know Paris (well, parts of it, there are other parts where I haven’t set foot since the 90’s) quite well, as I lived there for 15 years, so if anybody is thinking of relocating there, we can make a swap: my knowledge against yours!
Ideally, I would like a purpose built flat, in a building where you can get high speed broadband with Virgin or Sky. I don’t want to use BT as I’ve had too many problems with them in the past.
I’d like a safe area, i.e. I’d like to be able to walk back from the nearest Tube station/bus stop late at night, early in the morning, including at the weekend (no, I don’t go clubbing, but I do sometimes finish work late, or go to the theatre J and once I was assaulted by a mugger at 6am on a Sunday morning, as I was going to work L).
I don’t have a car, so I need a fairly big supermarket (not a Tesco Express) within walking distance (1 ½ mile), where I can do my weekly/monthly big shop, with my backpack.
I commute by public transport, so I’d like a good network of tube/train stations and bus lines. If the traffic is delayed or interrupted on 1 line, I’d like to be able to switch to another line or take a bus.
One of my top priorities is to be within quick reach (1 mile) of a swimming pool which is open several evenings a week, say, until 10pm. There is one such swimming-pool in Bristol where I live (the Lido, in Clifton) but it charges about £550 a year, and it’s a 30’ walk from where I live!
Last but not least, I’d like a part of London where there is a high proportion of foreigners, but not social cases (i.e. people on benefits, with kids and teens running amok), and at the same time I’d like the place to have a villagey feel: a bit like Blackheath.
Last of all, can anyone recommend a good agency? I’ve had problems with all the landlords I’ve had in the UK (live-in or not) and with the 2 agencies I’ve been dealing with: my current flat was repossessed by Bank of Ireland because my landlords were not repaying their mortgage, the other tenants and myself (about 30 people) had been trying for over a year to get in touch with them (there were numerous problems, including heroin addicts squatting for over 6 months in the part of the building which hadn’t been converted into flats), the various agencies (at least 3 of them) who had got us these flats would not have anything further to do with us once we had moved in, and the agency who is currently managing the building on behalf of the new landlords are just trying to get as much turnover as possible. I want to concentrate on my job, I don’t want to waste time and energy solving accommodation problems!
Thanks in advance.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back