Three trucks hitting train bridges and Dart level crossings today

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I was walking down the small lane beside Serpentine Avenue level crossing today when I heard a crash. I looked back to see a truck stopped in the middle of the crossing with the gate down on top of him.

I took out my phone but wasn't quick enough. He drove off.

Three of the gates were ok but one was half up and half down.

The Dart was stopped at Lansdowne Road and at Sandymount Station.

The cars were backing up afraid to go through with the lights flashing and the gate half down, so I played the Garda and directed them all through.

I had called Irishtown Garda station (twice) but no Garda arrived.

After 20 minutes, two guys from Iarnrod Eireann arrived and took over traffic duties from me.

I have just checked now and there were three strikes this afternoon.

Truck hits bridge Pearse St, Dublin at 15:20hrs…Truck hits bridge Portlaoise at 15:20hrsTruck hits level crossing Serpentine, Dublin at 16:20hrs…

Brendan

I wonder are there cctv cameras? Truck drivers should be prosecuted

Apparently, they are all chased up.

Presumably by IE for the damage done. The guys told me about €10k worth of damage was done.

I assume that the Gardai will go after them for dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

I felt very sorry for the passengers stuck on the Dart trains.

Brendan

Booterstown to Pearse needs about €250m of work to eliminate all the level crossings.

A bridge at Merrion Gates is feasible and there were plans eight or nine years ago that were shelved. Sydney Parade level crossing should be closed. Then you need a tunnel at either Serpentine Avenue or Sandymount Avenue and closure of the other one. In and around Lansdowne Road would be very tricky given the stadium and river and there’s no obvious solution.

It would end mess like what you saw today and increase speed and reliability on the rail line too.

Apparently, they are all chased up.

Presumably by IE for the damage done. The guys told me about €10k worth of damage was done.

I assume that the Gardai will go after them for dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

I felt very sorry for the passengers stuck on the Dart trains.

Brendan
I would be surprised if Garda follow up at all as no person was injured. That in itself is a problem with the Garda. They will leave it to the civil process.

Four strikes in a day is shocking. Impatience and disregard for signs, signals and rules of road has become learned or ingrained behaviour for many.

Back