Thinking of buying from China.....

alexandra123

Hi,

I am looking for some advice here. I am looking to get a glass roof aluminum canopy installed. I got a couple of quotes and it is very expensive. Cheapest quote was just under 6k and others around the country and in the UK were a bit dearer.

I also got quotes for a polycarbonate roof which is not what I want and that comes in just under 4k.

I was thinking to buy the product kit from alibaba and replace the roof with glass. To buy the product, import it and get it installed I am saving just under 50% of the cost. Does anyone have any advice on buying this type of product from China ? Has anyone bought such an item and had no issues ? I am just a bit worried as it is so far away and if something goes wrong I have no comeback.

Ref to ....https://andesi.en.alibaba.com/produ...7/metal_structure_mini_carport_for_shade.html

Thanks in advance

Found their website here:

http://www.andesisunshade.com/

It's only been in existence two and a half years.

Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/andesicarport/

I'd be wary of the quality of the product. Their standards may not be on par with Irish standards.

I've ordered and received goods from China (via ebay) and quality has always been an issue.

I think the adage - you get what you pay for applies here - that's if it arrives safely/intact/at all.

Be prepared for the worst if you do purchase - no delivery, bad quality, loss of € etc.

What method of payment do they take?

I've bought quite a bit from China over the years, mainly electronics, hardware, or cycling accessories, and much of it via AliExpress. As Paddy says, the quality usually matches the price. The frame linked above is aluminium, so may not be suited to an area where it will be exposed to strong winds. Most companies here would use a steel frame.

Is there any particular reason that you want a glass roof? It will be a little more scratch resistant, but it will be much more liable to breakage. For overhead use, you will need to use laminated safety glass and the fixing points will need to be professionally drilled, be 100% accurate, and allow for movement in the frame so as not to put strain on the glass. Prices won't be much cheaper than poly carbonate. If you want curved glass to fit the above frame, you're looking at a more expensive custom job.

For that size roof, you should be able to pick up 8mm poly-carbonate for around €1000, that will flex to a curved frame and is easily drilled.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure about payment. I am sure credit card should be fine.

In regards to the glass roof I want glass as it is less noisy and looks alot better than polycarbonate. As this is in the back garden, I don't think it will get too windy.

AliExpress will facilitate credit card payment, but you need to be aware that any issues will need to be resolved directly with the company you're buying from, and this in most cases would require you to return the entire structure to China at your expense. Shipping from here to China is a completely different cost proposition than the other way.

Using 8mm polycarbonate will be a lot quieter than the typical 2 or 3mm roofing sheets you normally see.

I came across this crowd doing car ports:

No idea how good/bad they are but may be worth investigating.

(I've no connection with linked business - not even as a customer!)

Thanks very much for all the advice.

I ended up going with these guys as they offer glass roof and glass enclosure [broken link removed]

The overall price was way more dearer but at least I have not to far to go if I have issues. I was a bit too nervous letting it come from china as I could not see the product in front of me.

I bought an electrical appliance from China on eBay. It took longer to get delivered than promised.
It immediately knocked the fuses out. They were slow to reply to me.
Long story short, they had stalled long enough that I was no longer able to give a review, which would have been 0/5.
Took a few months to get a refund, eventually via PayPal. Alas, it had been purchased in Sterling and Brexit happened before the refund so I took a financial hit on it.

Back