Thinking of building in Clare

Aesop

I am looking at building a home in Clare and am only starting investigating. So two questions really,

1) Are there still restrictions from people outside Clare seeking planning permission (I live in Limerick, work in Shannon)

2) Are self builds more grief than they are worth. My main reasons for self build is I will get the exact house I want and in the longer is cheaper than buying a pre-built house. However there are some real horror stories from people doing self-builds.

I would say you will have a hard time getting planning...where abouts in clare are you looking at?

I am only starting to look at the idea so nothing concrete (excuse the pun). Somewhere within easy commute to Shannon and countryside (without being remote) are about the only criteria for now

if you look at any sites find out if they are in pressure zones if they are then unless you are from the area you will find it very hard, sometimes even people from the area can't get planning.

If you want to live in a certain area then you could also look for sites with outline planning already on them, but you will pay more for this.

we live in ennis and are building out the country! father in law gave us site so we had to prove husband was from the area!! do not own a house so that helped. still took 16mths to get planning - clare co co are a disaster - the planners change every 6 mths so it depends who ya get. good luck

Hi,

If you are looking out the country and for something a wee bit different, Green Valley Properties have plenty of old derelict properties that might be worth a look, take a look at

www.gvp.ie or
[broken link removed]

With a derelict, you might stand a better chance of getting planning but I'd advise having a proper engineers report done so you'll know what you are getting yourself into...

Other that that, I'm sure local needs is in place in certain areas around the county so this will have a limiting factory on where you can build. Try and get hold of your county development plan. Also, a lot of counties allow you view planning apps online so you may be able to see what got plannng around the area you are looking to build in..

If you purchase a site with a derelict cottage/building be aware that banks/lending institutions have different criteria for this type of mortgage which it might be advisable to check out first.

Been down the road you are setting foot on -

1. Contact the planning section - admin staff - not planners - ask them to email you a list of all townlands in Clare and their respective zonings. If they are slow to do so, make it clear that you will submit an FOI request
2. Examine the county development plan and establish what criteria you as a resident satisfy
3.Decide what kind of dwelling you would like
4.Consult the county development plan and the guide to house types and decide if the kind of house you want is in keeping with the area in which you are looking
5.For each site you find repeat steps 2 to 4
6. Do not get a councillor to make representations for you unless you run into severe trouble
7. Do engage a professional architect/engineer/planner

Best of luck

Back