Thinking changing from VHI's Plan B to Quinn or Hibernian? Cornmarket and Brokers

B

burger

Thinking of changing from VHI's Plan B (recent bill of €3300 for 2 adults and 2 students) to Quinn or HibernianAviva.

The Quinn Family Care package lookss pretty similar to Plan B from what I can see and the website is quoting me €1980, which is a good whack cheaper!

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with Quinn or Hibernian or any advice? I'd like to save the money but health insurance is something that I want to get right!

I have read whats been posted here already but would love any extra info that anyone might have!

Thanks!

Re: Health Insurance: VHI/Quinn/Hibernian?

In case you haven't seen it, you can look at the Health Insurance Authority's comparison of all Plan B type products here.

Something to be aware of with FamilyCare is that it includes an excess for a stay in a private hospital. It's €50 in smaller private hospitals and €125 in larger private hospitals. It's per claim, not per night.

The out-patient benefit on FamilyCare is quite good, you get 50% back on GPs, physio, etc whereas with Plan B your out-patient cover is minimal and that's subject to a €125 excess per person.

Hibernian may also be worth a punt in your case as their student age is currently up to 23. Of course, you can switch to them at any stage, you don't have to join this year to get that student rate.

Something else to bear in mind is that all health insurers have a range of company-targetted schemes that they don't openly market. For example, Quinn's CompanyCare is fairly similar to FamilyCare and Vhi's Company Plan is similar (but not identical) to Plan B. Before making any switch, ask all insurers for a quote on their Plan B-equivalent company schemes. Under Open Enrolment, they cannot refuse to enrol you just because it's a company scheme. You don't even have to be a member of a group scheme.

One final consideration is that you don't have to have all the family on the same product even if you're all with the same insurer. You could have the students on X product, you on Y product and your wife on Z product. It might be a bit more confusing to work out at first, but it may save you a few more quid in the long run.

I'm sorry I don't have anything to address your specific question (about experiences), but hopefully this is food for thought.

Is Quinn's FamilyCare directly competing against VHI PlanB Option?

Looking at the brochure, it seems to me to be the case, though somebody mentioned to me that Quinn was a much lower cover?

Is Quinn's FamilyCare directly competing against VHI PlanB Option?

Looking at the brochure, it seems to me to be the case, though somebody mentioned to me that Quinn was a much lower cover?

Most of what I said in my previous post about Plan B, would also apply to B Options. The main differences between B and B Options are:

1) Options gives full cover for particular types of heart surgeries in the Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private (Plan B gives 90% cover, FamilyCare gives full cover) and

2) Options overseas cover is €100,000. Plan B gives €65,000, FamilyCare gives €100,000

The out-patient cover is also better on Options compared to Plan B, but there is still an excess to reach.

Finally - the link to the HIA website in my last post is out of date, so use this link to look at the current comparisons - [broken link removed].

FYI - When I used Quinn's comparison tool (http://www.quinn-healthcare.com/products_and_services/switching.htm) and told it I'm on Plan B Options, it recommends Essential Plus. From my days in BUPA, I can tell you they were very similar back then, and from looking at it now, it still appears to be the case.

We're also looking at changing from VHI - Plan C Option for 2 adults and 1 child is €3,176 per year, as we really just can't afford it at the moment.

The information you've provided Novaflare77 is really helpful and will help us make a decision on which way to go.

Having had car insurance with Quinn in the past, I'm a bit wary of them as I found them unfriendly, unhelpful and wouldn't use them again for car insurance, so we'll probably look at Hibernian Aviva.

We've had great service from the VHI over the past 11 years, but they're just so expensive that we're not able to continue with them.

We're also asking ourselves where we would be without health insurance altogether?

I know two people who had to have non-emergency surgery and were treated in the Matter Private and St Vincent's Private after they had been on the waiting list for 3 months.

If you're brought into A & E in an ambulance, they won't transfer you to a private hospital so you've no option but to stay in the public one.

Thanks NovaFalre77.

Looks like Quinn Essential Plus competes directly with VHI Plan B Option but is almost 18% cheaper (e.g €62 versus €75 pm).

FamilyCare is pretty much the same price as Essential Plus. Its carries excess for hospital cover and better day-care cover, e.g. no excess.

VHI renewal letter i got states that they have dropped their charge by €140 per child, but if i check against last renewal quote, it is only €80..The overall premium for family is up compare to last year.

VHI is simply getting too expensive, so i am changing...

We're also looking at changing from VHI - Plan C Option for 2 adults and 1 child is €3,176 per year, as we really just can't afford it at the moment.

The information you've provided Novaflare77 is really helpful and will help us make a decision on which way to go.

Having had car insurance with Quinn in the past, I'm a bit wary of them as I found them unfriendly, unhelpful and wouldn't use them again for car insurance, so we'll probably look at Hibernian Aviva.

We've had great service from the VHI over the past 11 years, but they're just so expensive that we're not able to continue with them.

We're also asking ourselves where we would be without health insurance altogether?

I know two people who had to have non-emergency surgery and were treated in the Matter Private and St Vincent's Private after they had been on the waiting list for 3 months.

If you're brought into A & E in an ambulance, they won't transfer you to a private hospital so you've no option but to stay in the public one.

The main hospital benefit of Plan C (and C Options) is that it covers you for a private room in a private hospital. However, this private room isn't guaranteed and you're still treated in the same way as those in a semi private room. It might be worth your while looking at cover for semi private room instead of a private room. 2 adults and 1 child on B Options is €2,000, which would be a massive saving compared to what you have now. You'd have even more savings with other plans/insurers (pretend that this is where I link to the HIA again :D).

One thing to check is that your local private hospital(s) have semi private rooms. Most do, but some of the newer ones, such as Whitfield Clinic in Waterford have private rooms only. If you're on Plan B, or similar, you would pay some of the bill yourself.

Also, about your comment about being transferred to a private hospital form A & E, most private hospitals only deal with elective (planned) admissions, so even if the public hospital would transfer you, it's probable that the private hospital would say no.

Hi NovaFlare, thanks for the info, it was very helpful! :)

For those wishing to choose health insurance I would recommend that everyone uses the product comparison tool provided by the health insurance authority on www.hia.ie.

Also, anyone can buy corporate plans, and not just members of a scheme. This might not be apparent if you call your health insurer directly. In fact they may point you away from cheaper, better value corporate plans.

I got a shock to see my VHI for two adults and two students plus (vhi gold for two of us) came to €4200! which will rise to 4500 when the 8% goes on. Thats nearly 400 a month... or one car insurance per month!. They are nice people and I would have loved to stay with them as I have been there for years but with retirement coming up, I can no longer pay that. I got similar insurance from a competitor for half the price, which is still 200 per month. Next move will be to drop it altogether. Private health insurance costs are getting out of hand.

Just on the comparison topic, can anyone tell me the actual difference in cover between the Quinn Personal Care and Family Care plans.

I ask because I opted for the Family Care some time ago, I think it came in about 2 years ago, and I did not look closely at the differences.

But, would it be true to say that they are virtual identical, except for Maternity benefits, which are better with the Family Care plan.

However, these are not of any use to me and Mrs. P, as we have already done our bit, and we are in our mid-50's now, empty nester's now for quite a few years, so no danger there!!

On the Quinn experience, I have found them to be very efficient, friendly and straight-forward, from direct unfortunate experience last year, and continuing as we speak.

There is also the other benefits, which include free World-wide travel insurance, and reduced cost of house insurance, if you go with Quinn for Motor, Home and Health policies.

Not to be sniffed at.

On the downside, there is an interest charge for paying monthly, rather than upfront for the year.

Also, they don't now operate a so-called group discount for occupations, but think that was pretty negligible anyway, as almost everyone qualified, thereby giving a false impression that you were getting a discount, when in fact there was no real benefit there.

Quinn compare familycare & personalcare in one brochure - http://www.quinn-healthcare.com/pdf/fpcbroch.pdf.

From looking through it, Familycare gives better access to high-tech hospitals (the Mater Private, Blackrock Clinic and Beacon Hospital).

Personalcare will fully cover certain types of heart surgeries in the Beacon and Mater Private, but that's the extent of it.

Familycare will fully cover the same surgeries in the Mater, Blackrock & Beacon. It will also give you full cover for any day-case treatment in those three facilities, subject to the €200 excess. And you will also get partial cover in those three hospitals for any other overnight stay. I think you would be liable for around €300 per day, plus the €200 excess per claim, with Quinn picking up the rest of the bill.

Another option for you might be Quinn's companycare, which I'm on myself. As far as I can tell, it gives the same cover as familycare but it's about €150 cheaper per person, based on the 2010 prices. You should be able to change cover just by ringing them, so you should ask them at the same time if you're losing any cover. And even though it's called companycare, anyone can join regardless of who they are (or are not) employed by. Quinn have more information on their website here - http://www.quinn-healthcare.com/for_employers/company_care.htm.

Thank you so much, just off the phone from Quinn - changed from Family Care to Company Care with no changes to cover and now due a refund of €328.00 (2 adults & 1 child) - got the same refund for my parents.

Thank you again.

Thanks NovaFlare77 :cool:

Most welcome information in your post.

I will ring them tomorrow and check what the difference, if any, is.

The Ccare link you posted is kinda hidden, you have to dig around to find it, but the benefits certainly seem to be identical ;)

Also mentions Ccare (no excess) which would cost less than my current family care with excess, but can't find any further mention of this plan :confused:

Are you insured through your company?

I just ask because of info on [broken link removed]

Be careful about the excess as there seems to be a €200 excess for each and every day case procedure in a hi tech hospital.

In relation to the HIA website - I think that Quinn charges more than this if you pay monthly. Does anyone know if this is right or not - and if it is a fair comparison?

Thanks NovaFlare77 :cool:

Most welcome information in your post.

I will ring them tomorrow and check what the difference, if any, is.

The Ccare link you posted is kinda hidden, you have to dig around to find it, but the benefits certainly seem to be identical ;)

Also mentions Ccare (no excess) which would cost less than my current family care with excess, but can't find any further mention of this plan :confused:

Are you insured through your company?

I just ask because of info on [broken link removed]

a) You too are more than welcome. I'll send you the link to my wish list on Amazon, feel free to purchase something for me with your savings :) (I'm joking of course!!)

b) It is hidden, but this is something common to all three insurers (that naturally doesn't make it right though). I used to work for BUPA so I know the layout of the website better than most would. (Just to be clear though, my working for bupa has no impact on which health cover I pick. I'd been with Hibernian for the last 2.5 years before switching to CoCare and I'd switch to VHI in the morning if I thought it was the best value for me)

c) CCare (no excess) is exactly the same of CC with excess, except for the excesses. All the other benefits are identical so that's probably why it's not listed seperately.

d) I'm insured on my own, not through any company. Under open enrolment lgislation, anyone can join any plan, regardless of who the target market may be. Obviously, just make sure the product gives you the kind of cover you want. And as you can see a few posts up, NHG was able to switch with no hassles.

Be careful about the excess as there seems to be a €200 excess for each and every day case procedure in a hi tech hospital.

There is a €200 excess for daycases in hi-tech hospitals, but that excess also applies to Familycare so someone moving from FamCare to CoCare doesn't lose out in that respect.

In relation to the HIA website - I think that Quinn charges more than this if you pay monthly. Does anyone know if this is right or not - and if it is a fair comparison?

If you pay by installment, be it weekly, monthly, quarterly half yearly, etc, Quinn apply a 3% credit charge. Basically, add 3% to your bill to get the overall figure and then divide it by your frequency of payment to get your installment.

The HIA website doesn't mention this, but it used to on the old style comparisons.

I think a €200 excess is excessive for a day case procedure in a hi - tech hospital as the chances of requiring a day case procedure are quite high as that is one of the biggest claims that an insurer has to pay out on. Personally if I needed a day case procedure, it would be to a hi-tech that I would go. Perhaps it is a false saving ?

Back