The Gaeltacht: expensive to send a child to gaeltacht for 3wks in the summer, Grants?

bantragh

The Gaeltacht - Its quite expensive to send a child to the gaeltacht for 3 weeks in the summer - is their a grant available from the dept of education or is it only middle income family kids that go?

Re: The Gaeltacht

I think some of the larger organisations might have an assistance scheme in place.

I went to Colaiste na bhFiann a good few times when I was in school, and found it a really great experience - you could give them a shout and see if they have reduced rates/assistance.

I think some of the larger organisations might have an assistance scheme in place.

I went to Colaiste na bhFiann a good few times when I was in school, and found it a really great experience - you could give them a shout and see if they have reduced rates/assistance.

Isn't that the college that supposedly raises the tricolour at dawn, and the students have to salute the flag, a lá Pearse et al? I heard that it was very republican in it's ethos when I was in school, so my family steered me away from it. I went to Colaiste Chiarán twice, over Easter Hols. It was excellent, and even after a week I came back much improved.

As an ex-student of Coláiste na bhFiann, I would highly recommend it. The raising of the flag still takes place, but to be honest, it takes about 10 minutes every day and is such a small part of the course that I wouldn't let it influence your decision. There is no republican ethos other than the raising of the national flag.

I think the ESB used to run a scholarship scheme for Gaeltacht places - it may not exist anymore, but worth running a search on google.

"or is it only middle income family kids that go?"

I wonder.

I spent five summers in the Gaeltacht as a child (which is not recently, I can tell you), and must admit to being a card carrying member of the middle class; At that time a very substantial proportion of students were - as best I can recall - from relatively poor backgrounds. I wonder if the growth of gaelscoileanna around the country, and the apparent trend for them to be colonised by the children relatively affluent, (at least according to David McWilliams - I think he has a label for them but can't remember what it is) has contributed to a change in the mix in the students attending gaeltacht summer colleges?

What does a typical 3 week course cost these days?

Isn't that the college that supposedly raises the tricolour at dawn, and the students have to salute the flag, a lá Pearse et al? I heard that it was very republican in it's ethos when I was in school, so my family steered me away from it. I went to Colaiste Chiarán twice, over Easter Hols. It was excellent, and even after a week I came back much improved.

Yep, they did do that but to be honest, a bunch of teenagers are never going to take too much notice of that side of things - far too many other distractions :D . Anyone who prattled on about stuff like that was quickly ignored and greeted with yawning teenaged faces - enough to discourage even the most zealous crusader ;) .

While I could see how that side of Colaiste na bhFiann could spook people who have never been, it's not really an issue (my family also would be very anti-Republican but never found the 'ethos' a problem).

Many years ago I went to the Gaeltacht on Inis Oirr. It wasn't Colaiste na bFiann run, so there was no saluting the flag. At the time, it was very reasonable to go there, considering you were being babysat, accommodated and fed for three weeks.

No idea how much it costs these days though.

[broken link removed]

It seems three weeks at the gaeltacht now costs €700 to €800.

It was about 300 pounds when i went 12 years ago so 700 euro doesn't seem to bad to me for what you are getting - all food, accommodation, Irish classes, entertainment, transport etc for 3 weeks.
How much would it cost to bring a 15 year old away on a foreign holiday for a week?
I'd say the Gaeltacht is money well spent.

i myself went to colaiste Chonnact a few times, i think some of the gaa clubs offer scolarships

The Gaeltacht - Its quite expensive to send a child to the gaeltacht for 3 weeks in the summer - is their a grant available from the dept of education or is it only middle income family kids that go?

Mrs. Carpedeum is a member of the Health Services Staff Credit Union and received a contribution for one of our kid's detention in the Gaeltacht a couple of years ago through the Betty Noone Memorial Bursary.

[broken link removed]

Members of SIPTU and IMPACT can also qualify for scholarship grants...

[broken link removed]
(see additional benefits at the bottom of the page)

[broken link removed]

Contact Concos - an umbrella group for many colleges, who may have some information re grant-aided programmes or scholarships.

Impact also has a scheme for member's children - [broken link removed]

Last edited:
It's a wonderful experience for a teenager, in my opinion. I found it a rite of passage I must say. All very innocent fun, but a wonderful learning environment compared to the rigidity of school.
Having gone during Easter break, I would come back and straight into school feeling so invigorated and excited about Irish class, now that I had my new found fluency and indeed interest in the language. That interest has stayed with me to this day.

My child of course picked the most expensive one - 840. And we left it very late - I think we booked it in May, so we were too late to find out /apply for grants. But she came back very confident (much more so than beofre) and had had a great time.

I went to Irish college all those years ago but won it in school. Each year they gave away a french and an Irish college place. Check out your child's school!

I went a couple of times as a teenager. Got two part scholarships one from Conradh na gaeilge and one from a political party. They were both for the same specific college in Donegal. I tried to get one through the GAA too. All involved an informal interview as gaeilge. For the GAA and political party one a family member had to be associated with party/club respectively.

Great memories....... first cigarette(still smoking ten years later), first proper kiss and first time I puked from drinking too much(rarely happens to me now!)

Last edited:
Re: The Gaeltacht: expensive to send a child to gaeltacht for 3wks in the summer, Gra

I would recommend highly Colaiste Ide just outside Dingle. It's an all girls Irish boarding school during school term but is an Irish college during the summer. It is for both sexes aged 10 to 14. They live in the school and have great fun, well supervised and plenty of Irish without being draconian. As they live in you have no worries about them cycling about on what are busy roads during the tourist season. They have the nightly ceili and lots of sport with classes every morning. They have to help with washing up and setting tables etc but that's not a problem. It was 720 euros this year I think, so to send a few children is expensive but it is money well spent. To be honest I think that poorer children no longer get the chance to go as I don't think that grant is available any longer. Comharchumainn Corca Dhuibhne is the organising body and they are very helpful.

All my children have gone to Colaiste Chamus near Rosmuc. Excellent.All enjoyed it.Cost approx700 euro.

There is no republican ethos other than the raising of the national flag.quote]

Agreed - I went for 5 or 6 years in the late 80's/early 90's, and there was never a hint of republicanism. And is it such a bad thing that people know their own national anthem?

Back