The Big Switch- anyone been switched yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed up at the end of February and got a letter last week to say we're switched as of 7th May.

Received final bill from the ESB today and letter closing account. Also there was a letter from ESB networks wrt the connection agreement. Is that normal?

Also are BG energy customers on the same billing cycles as ESB?
ESB closed my account from May 12 and I am normally due a bill at the end of the month. Will this now happen or will they wait a while?

Received final bill from the ESB today and letter closing account. Also there was a letter from ESB networks wrt the connection agreement. Is that normal?

Yes. However, there is no sense in ESB Networks sending connection agreements to everyone who switches. The vast majority of such customers are already customers of ESB Networks so they don't need any such letter. My friends in ESB Networks tell me that they are now changing the system. Such letters will only issue if you are a brand new customer at the address in question. Meanwhile, anyone who gets such a letter can ignore it.

Regards,

Fnergg

Also are BG energy customers on the same billing cycles as ESB?
ESB closed my account from May 12 and I am normally due a bill at the end of the month. Will this now happen or will they wait a while?

BG would be on the same billing cycle as bills are produced on the basis of meter readings and the readings will continue to be taken by ESB Networks in accordance with their meter reading schedules.

They may be able to send you your first bill for the period from the 12th May to the end of May. I would expect however that your first bill will issue at the next billing cycle - in your case the end of July - and will cover the best part of three months. That would be normal for any utility.

Regards,

Fnergg

Mine swithed on the 29th April. About 5-6 weeks.
It seems giving the metre readings make it a lot quicker

Once ESB Customer Supply have released the MPRN to BGE, do ESB CS have any control over the MPRN?

It seems giving the metre readings make it a lot quicker
It certainly made no difference in my case. I have them the readings over 12 weeks ago and I was only switched last week.

Once ESB Customer Supply have released the MPRN to BGE, do ESB CS have any control over the MPRN?

The MPRN is controlled by ESB Networks, not ESB Customer Supply. It refers to the premises where the meter is located - the Meter Point Registration Number - and will apply to that premises regardless of who the customer is or who the supplier (the billing company) is. If you sell your house to me my electricity bill - whether I'm supplied by ESBCS, Bord Gais or Airtricity - will have the exact same MPRN as appears on your bill at present.

When you phone ESB Networks to report a fault or look for some Networks service they will ask you for your MPRN. There is no point quoting your ESBCS/BG/Airtricity account number as they have no visibility of their systems. Neither are they interested of course in whether you pay your bills on time or not. The MPRN identifies your premises on their system and they will then be able to respond to the fault or carry out the service request that much quicker.

Regards,

Fnergg

The MPRN is controlled by ESB Networks, not ESB Customer Supply. It refers to the premises where the meter is located - the Meter Point Registration Number - and will apply to that premises regardless of who the customer is or who the supplier (the billing company) is. If you sell your house to me my electricity bill - whether I'm supplied by ESBCS, Bord Gais or Airtricity - will have the exact same MPRN as appears on your bill at present.

When you phone ESB Networks to report a fault or look for some Networks service they will ask you for your MPRN. There is no point quoting your ESBCS/BG/Airtricity account number as they have no visibility of their systems. Neither are they interested of course in whether you pay your bills on time or not. The MPRN identifies your premises on their system and they will then be able to respond to the fault or carry out the service request that much quicker.

Regards,

Fnergg

Ok, I can understand that.

Could ESB CS get ESB Networks to cut off someone that had switched to someone else? Say if they still owed ESB CS money?

Ok, I can understand that.

Could ESB CS get ESB Networks to cut off someone that had switched to someone else? Say if they still owed ESB CS money?

Absolutely not.

If you change to Bord Gais or Airtricity and owe ESBCS money there is no way that ESBCS could get ESB Networks to disconnect your supply. Likewise in reverse of course - you could change from BG or Airtricty to ESB and the old supplier cannot get your supply withdrawn.

Neither is there any question of the debt following you to your new account i.e. the old supplier cannot transfer the debt to your new supplier.

The only sanction available to the old supplier is legal action. Your electricity supply will be safe however.

By the way, never give your old electricity account number to your new supplier - they only need your MPRN. If they have your account number they can surreptiously find out if you owe money and they may well refuse to take you on as a customer. The door to door salespeople from Bord Gais and Airtricity are, I understand, asking prospective customers to see their ESB bills - don't give it to them! All they need to know is your MPRN.

Regards,

Fnergg

Took them two and a half months to switch me over from when I first registered.

I heard not one word from them during that period by way of a progress report.

Very poor communication.

I got a letter saying the date it switched & notifying me a final bill would arrive from ESB. Have not got that yet.

Two lads from Airtricity just called at my door and pointed out the small print in Bord Gais' contract saying the 14% discount only lasts for 12 months, after which it drops to 5% off the ESB rate!
Now I'm sorry I didn't go with Airtricity.
Maybe its not too late to stop the Big Switch (they've taken 2 months already).

I'm calling them tomorrow.

Two lads from Airtricity just called at my door and pointed out the small print in Bord Gais' contract saying the 14% discount only lasts for 12 months, after which it drops to 5% off the ESB rate!
Now I'm sorry I didn't go with Airtricity.
Maybe its not too late to stop the Big Switch (they've taken 2 months already).

I'm calling them tomorrow.

Not so fast! Airtricity are only guaranteeing their 13% discount until 31 January 2010. Bord Gais are offering their discount for the first year's usage as from the time you become a customer with them. On the face of it therefore BG's is the better offer.

Regards,

Fnergg

Has the ESB or can anyone give a cogent argument as to why a householder should stay with them?
I'm about to switch and it appears to be a nobrainer. Only question is to who, but I'd like to give ESB a chance:)

Has the ESB or can anyone give a cogent argument as to why a householder should stay with them?
I'm about to switch and it appears to be a nobrainer. Only question is to who, but I'd like to give ESB a chance:)

ESB Customer Supply is the only supplier restricted by the Regulator from reducing its prices to match other suppliers and the reason for this is to encourage competition from Bord Gais and Airtricity to take root and to reduce ESB's dominance in the retail market. BG and Airtricity are free to charge what they like - ESB Customer Supply is not allowed to. Competition Irish style!

On price alone it is a no brainer and it is designed to shift thousands of customers to other suppliers in the interests of reducing ESB's dominance. Remember though that after 1 year the price difference will only be 5% assuming that the Regulator will still not allow ESB to compete on a level playing field.

It remains to be seen how well or otherwise Bord Gais and Airtricity handle their thousands of new customers. Bord Gais' switching process has had its problems and they are struggling to clear the backlog of applications. How will their billing system cope? What will their customer service be like? It's too soon to tell.

Given the state of the economy and the privations being visited on us all the Regulator should lift the shackles imposed on ESB and allow it to compete on an equal basis with BG and Airtricity. There are thousands of customers who could benefit from lower electricity prices but who cannot avail of the BG and Airticity offers due to (a) being unbanked and so direct debit is not an option and (b) being unable to pay the security deposits required by those suppliers. The regulatory restrictions on ESB are therefore a form of social exclusion - the better off can benefit from BG's and Airtricity's lower prices but others can't. That is unjust and it needs to change. Customer service should be the differentiator that determines whether a customer switches supplier or not.

Regards,

Fnergg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back