The Big Switch- anyone been switched yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recieved my 1st bill.... It states I saved €11 over what I would have paid to ESB on it.

It was an Actual reading of my meater too and not an estimated one.

Just spoke with the " Airtricity" representive, she stated that only cheque payers pay the returnable deposit. If memory serves me right, I think ESB charges a deposit also when connecting up if one dosen't pay by direct debit.

Just spoke with the " Airtricity" representive, she stated that only cheque payers pay the returnable deposit. If memory serves me right, I think ESB charges a deposit also when connecting up if one dosen't pay by direct debit.

It is prudent business practice for all suppliers to seek some form of security from first time customers of theirs. That security can be a monetary deposit, agreement to pay by direct debit, or a combination of both.

Electricity (and gas) is supplied on credit i.e. you have used two months worth before you are billed. There is a big risk there for suppliers so it is understandable why they seek to protect themselves. After a year or so if you have paid all your bills on time - and thus have established yourself as a good customer - you will get your security deposit back. Note: on time means paying within 14 days of issue of each bill and not just before the next bill issues.

Regards,

Fnergg

Direct debit is no security as those can be cancelled or declined.

Yes, but then the supplier will slap you with the security deposit instead.

From the customer's point of view direct debit is the least inconvenient security option. And given that the bills have to be paid anyhow it is actually a very convenient payment method.

If a direct debit is declined by the bank it is an early warning to the supplier that the customer is in trouble and collection action against him/her will be expedited.

The vast majority of customers who pay by direct debit do not cancel or have the debits declined.

Regards,

Fnergg

Ive got gas so BGE is cheaper i.e. 14% because I have gas (2%) and am going to pay my bills by DD (2%) + the 10% original discount

If you don't have gas and you are prepared to go on the Airtricity Payment plan, you are better off with them, as you get 13% as opposed to their 12%

I'm sure 1% is not that much but you never know...

I went with Airtricity on the assumption that it would be cheaper than Bord Gais after the initial year? Hmmmmm, I've forgotten the figures but it seemed a good idea at the time.

Simeon, you're right - the 10% reduction offered by Bord Gais only applies for year 1, after that it's going to be about 5% (plus the additional discounts for gas customer/direct debit).

I presume Airtricity deduction of 13% remains at that figure which makes it cheaper in the long run.

So when I do finally get switched over to BG, I can look at switching again in 12 months time...!

Simeon, you're right - the 10% reduction offered by Bord Gais only applies for year 1, after that it's going to be about 5% (plus the additional discounts for gas customer/direct debit).

I presume Airtricity deduction of 13% remains at that figure which makes it cheaper in the long run.

So when I do finally get switched over to BG, I can look at switching again in 12 months time...!

And by then the famous Irish ennui with paperwork will have set in and (apart from a few savvy) people will stay with them. Gotcha!

Ive got gas so BGE is cheaper i.e. 14% because I have gas (2%) and am going to pay my bills by DD (2%) + the 10% original discount

If you don't have gas and you are prepared to go on the Airtricity Payment plan, you are better off with them, as you get 13% as opposed to their 12%

I'm sure 1% is not that much but you never know...
I'm a BG gas customer too, but chose to go with Airtricity for environmental reasons. Almost the same amount of a discount as BG, and I get to feel smug and superior on the eco front! :)

I also like the fact that they send e-bills, rather than paper bills, as the paper, ink, delivery and such all add to the cost of the electricity (and carbon output). It always used to bother me how many extra leaflets the ESB put in with their bills.

I got my first e-bill from Airtricity yesterday, and am impressed by the saving.

I'm a BG gas customer too, but chose to go with Airtricity for environmental reasons. Almost the same amount of a discount as BG, and I get to feel smug and superior on the eco front! :)

Exactly the same here, nice thought nearly 80% of the energy used is renewable(indirectly), have spouted that fact many times

Switched to Airtricity last month, the whole process took just over a week. Opted for the level payment plan and e-bills, so will be saving the full 13%. You can submit regular readings online, so your monthly instalments can be amended to reflect usage. No complaints so far, and the ESB didn't cause us any hassle or delays either.

I was switched to BG last week, having applied in March.

The ESB bill I got last week was the closing bill (it was estimated as it happens), and I got a letter the following day from BG to tell me I was now one of their customers.

I also like the fact that they send e-bills, rather than paper bills, as the paper, ink, delivery and such all add to the cost of the electricity (and carbon output). It always used to bother me how many extra leaflets the ESB put in with their bills.

I got my first e-bill from Airtricity yesterday, and am impressed by the saving.

Ditto for us on the environmental front. Savings all round with Airtricity.
I didn't know they do e-bills. Do you have to sign up for that or is it automatic?

I was wondering why Airtricity weren't doing more advertising at the time of all that 'Big Switch' campaign. But apparently they only handled business customers till recently and are now taking on the domestic market. Good to have more competition and hopefully good for the environment. :)

Still nothing from BG. Not a sausage except the we are so busy email. I think this is a massive con job.

Can I break out of my not existent BG contract and go to airtricity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back