Home thatched holiday cottage insurance?

Cottier

any suggestions for buildings insurance on a stone cottage with a thatched roof. We're working in England at the moment so it's not occupied most of the time (weekend/holiday cottage).

The previous owners never had it insured but now we're extending and modernising it we're looking for some basic buildings cover for the worst case scenario. Not worried about contents insurance or large claims excess exemptions, just looking for anyone who would insure it (either in Ireland or Britain).

I know it's been harder and harder to insure thatch. Anyone have any recent experience on this?

thanks, I have their stuff already. I chased up another broker mentioned here a year or two ago but they no longer insure thatch, so as far as I can tell you're right there. The British companies insuring holiday cottages in the Republic also seem not to cover thatch now.

Wonder if that's based on actual risk statistics or just the uncertainty of non-standard calculations. We I grew up in a thatched cottage since the 1970s and never really thought much of it other than it was a bit more expensive to insure.

Back