'Terms of Business' still state 90% up to 20000

R

rnpeg

Hi

I went into the local BOI to open their 12 month 5% fixed term account this week. Checking the terms of business showed it was still the old 90% up to 20000. I queried this with staff and there was a lot of head scratching, followed by calls to head office. The response from them was they were aware of it but had no plans to change it.

I've checked the TOB with other institutions supposedly under the 100% protection scheme online and its the same.

The terms of business come from the financial regulator (the bank said) so I checked their website and the comments seem 'wooly'.

Following orders from the Minister for Finance on 24 October and 5 November 2008, we understand the levels of protection in place are as set out below.

Its the 'we understand' term I find worrying. There's also no mention of 100% on all deposits.

I'm sure I'm only being paranoid but could anybody point me to an 'official' website which explicitly states the 100% guarantee ? The bank couldn't, in fact they sent me to askaboutmoney !! :)

Thanks for any help/comments

Back