Tenant stopped paying rent: what can I do

I agree regarding the pay out. It might be an annoying thing to do but by how you described this lady, I would say she'd go for it. Offer her 1k to leave within the next two days and as Christmas is coming up, she might not think twice and you got her out ;)

I can't give legal advice here but even though OP is not registered with the PRTB, no tenant should treat a landlord this way - if that would be the other way around, there would be a big fuss. On a human level, this is disgraceful!

Why is that something to be excited about, and what relevance has it got to this thread, and helping the OP?
Who's getting excited? I'm calm as Mr Calmy from Calmtown.

And relevance to this thread - probably about as relevant as your 'numbers don't add up' comment.

Who's getting excited? I'm calm as Mr Calmy from Calmtown.

And relevance to this thread - probably about as relevant as your 'numbers don't add up' comment.

I didn't say you were excited. You said "just wait" as if its something to anticipate with excitement. So I asked why is that something to be excited about. You haven't clarified that at all.

Many landlords have no mortgage on their rented property, so its has no bearing them what so ever. Even if a property has a mortgage. Its completely irrelevant in a thread about a non paying tenant. Unless you are trying to derail the thread into property investment discussion.

You only go into business to make money. The numbers have to add up. In this case the law has changed so it now costs the landlord potentially a lot of money to remove a non paying tenant. It maybe cheaper to pay a fine even of 10~20k than do nothing and wait for process in place to take its course. Which suggests to me, the process is broken, or at least unworkable.

I know breaking the law is not the way we all would like to behave. When the law is an 'ass' we are left with little alternative.
From experience the alternative to the heavy is suffering the loss of rent.
The PTB do take up to a year and sometimes more to act on your behalf. In the meantime you pay the PTB plus utilities and suffer any damage to the property.
I know I am that soldier.

Perhaps in the current National situation and the crisis in which we find ourselves we will begin to make laws that benefit the offended not the offender.

It is amazing that the good samaritan who helps a person in difficulty could be charged with an offence. No wonder our morals are being twisted, we dont know right from wrong. I understand that there is some change being enacted there. It will be most welcome.

Volunteering in society has suffered. As a result, all good deeds must be paid for by the tax payer. Many of our citizens think they have no obligation to do the good deed everything must be paid for. How do we put a value on helping a person in need.
We must return to old values. Value the human being and be a good citizen and neighbour. There are huge rewards.

Imagine some citizens being told they could not grit or salt the roads during the recent snow, when their local council could not provide the service.

When we lose concern for the vulnerable, like the old and young, society is close to breaking down. We must revert to old fashioned values we have lost so much.
I read that in Japan they care for their older people beautifully, all their needs are fully met, no expense spared. To do this, with maximum financially efficiency, they are put on a remote island to live out their lives. When does my time come.
I never intended being so long winded, did not know I was so cross. Perhaps this recession might bring us to our sences and we will have come full circle. Browtal

The reality is legally a tenant can cost a landlord tens of thousands of euro and the landlord has no hope of recovering this. Thats not a workable system.

Call to see her, tell her your getting the house renovated for yourself, give her a date, tell her to be out by that date, give it to her in writing, bring a witness, coming up to that date get a skip delivered to the front of the house and on that date start renovations. end of

Why dont you ask the gaurds for there advice would you not have a case of tresspassing if you have asked her to leave get your solictor to write a letter to her and take it from there and ask your solictor for advice on it also.

This tenant is a thief and a low life should not get away with this they will surely do this again if not before, there is no law in this state that will compensate the landlord where a tenant does not pay rent similar to that which applies to hotels and Guest houses.
PRTB is stacked against landlords with the backlog it encourages a more confrontational go it alone resolution to problems in private rental sector especially where economic factors come in to play.
Banks will not assist where rent is unpaid negative equity is now a consequence of recent property ownership.
The costs have to be weighted up if a loss is incurred due to unpaid rent this can be written off tax and carried forward for future rental income however I stand to be corrected here.
Get someone else to (1) negotiate use an experienced property manager (2) have the building accessed for damage by a builder maximise any opportunity to inconvenience (3) offer compensation pay, any reward should have their signature and notify SW on amount of compensation paid.
Hope this helps

Back