tenant has paid no rent this month

I currently have a tenant who has defaulted on his rent from the very start of the tenancy. I have since ascertained that he has given false information to the my letting agent regarding his employment. He is acting very strangely, not returning calls or making himself available to discuss the situation. He leaves strange recorded messages on the letting agents phone. He has been issued with a 14 day letter and now a 28 day letter demanding that he quit the property. The letting agent says that after that if the tenant does not leave, he will call to inspect the property. He says that they usually leave then. I certainly hope so! If he doesn't leave, what are my options? I really don't want to go down the route of dealing with the PRTB as it will take too long and I really cannot afford to have this tenant in my property, paying no rent. I am seriously considering going in to change the locks if he does not leave.

Your letting agent should have got the first months rent plus a months deposit in advance. Are you saying he let him enter without any of this ?

I am seriously considering going in to change the locks if he does not leave.

Unless you want to hand €10k+ to the tenant do NOT do this...it would constitute an illegal eviction and prove very very costly to you. You may have no option but to go down the PRTB route.

I was in touch with the PRTB. An official told me that as the tenant is paying no rent and overholding the property (past the quit date stated in the 28 day letter), my case will be treated as priority and dealt with within 2 to 3 months. In view of this, I will take the PRTB route as it would be very galling to have to give the tenant €10k +. I will take a case for arrears of rent and overholding of the property.

An official told me that as the tenant is paying no rent and overholding the property (past the quit date stated in the 28 day letter), my case will be treated as priority and dealt with within 2 to 3 months.

2/3 months is a joke. The LL's pay for this joke of an organisation & they are incapable of dealoing with something as straight forward as an non-paying tenant for 8 to 13 weeks.

I registered a tenancy last January & only got the letter back from them last week - 4 months just to acknowledge reciept of a cheque & send back a letter.

The sooner the PRTB is got rid of, the better

Back