Tenant difficulty with owner re Electricity bill

creditworthy

Good evening ,
I am requesting your advice on a situation our friend and his wife have found themselves in . Its more than a bit of a mess on all fronts and as English is not their first language, I`m trying to send them to the most appropriate source of help , more than likely a solicitor. I do not have the complete picture yet but here`s what we have so

Situation 1 ... but not the main problem : They agreed to move into a property last year around January and agreed to do repairs to make the house more habitable etc while living in the house in lieu of paying rent for a set period of time . ( We advised them to get something in wriitng or even a text message from the house owner confirming that arrangement but that didn`t happen ) . The property is not registered withthr RTB . This January they paid 650 in rent but then undertook more work to the house in lieu of paying rent.

Situation 2 : Our friend has been living in the house for the past 4-5 weeks WITHOUT ANY ELECTRICITY !!! We only found this out last week from him, nearly had to drag it out of him ! .

He was given an electricity account number , ( I`ll call it account A ) by the owner and paid money into that account each month. He did not reveive the bills as he only could show me the strip off the end of one bill ,sent to him by the owner . There was no address , MPRN number or account holder name given to him . He knows that this account is now just over 1,000 euro in credit . The account is registered in the owner`s name .

The reason the electricity was disconnected was because there is a second meter registered at the property with a differen account number , again registered in the owners name with a WHOPPING outstanding balance. The owner is now trying to get my friend and previous tenents to pay towards this in order to get the electricity reconnected . Under no circumstances is he going to pay him any money for that. .. which leaves him without power. He paid into the acount number he was given .

He was not informed by the owner that the final notices were sent and that the power would be disconnected. Power was gone when he arrived home from work and he rang the owner , who maintains once the bill is paid , power will be reconnected.

We worded a message for him and he requested by text, details of the account number he had been paying in to but his request was ignored by the owner .

Another twist .. a friend of his at work contacted the electricity company while my friend was with him and he must have agreed to put the acccount ( account A ) or possibly set up a new account in his own name ( again something we later told him may not have been the best move as he intends getting out of there as soon as he can ) and he now has received a bill for around 600 euro . I have to check if that account number is connected to the MPRN he has been paying for all along ( if that makes sense ? ) , but not sure if the 1000 credit has now disappeared into the ether , otherwise how could he have a bill for 600 ?

He is working off a gas camping stove at the moment and torches around the place , stove heats the place and hot water .

It is an unbelievable mess and I wonder if you would advise going straight to a solicitor on this ..... even the fact that he was not given access to a full bill and the owner has knowingly left him in a house WITHOUT ELECTRICITY for 5 weeks .... it is his intention to leave as soon as this gets sorted.

Sorry I haven` t yet got the full picture regarding the new account that was set up but we would be most grateful for how to approach getting this sorted .
Thank you .

It is an unbelievable mess and I wonder if you would advise going straight to a solicitor on this ..... even the fact that he was not given access to a full bill and the owner has knowingly left him in a house WITHOUT ELECTRICITY for 5 weeks .... it is his intention to leave as soon as this gets sorted.
They should contact the RTB immediately, the fact that there is no lease in writing or the tenancy isn't registered does not prevent them tackling a rogue landlord.

Good evening ,
I am requesting your advice on a situation our friend and his wife have found themselves in . Its more than a bit of a mess on all fronts and as English is not their first language, I`m trying to send them to the most appropriate source of help , more than likely a solicitor. I do not have the complete picture yet but here`s what we have so

Situation 1 ... but not the main problem : They agreed to move into a property last year around January and agreed to do repairs to make the house more habitable etc while living in the house in lieu of paying rent for a set period of time . ( We advised them to get something in wriitng or even a text message from the house owner confirming that arrangement but that didn`t happen ) . The property is not registered withthr RTB . This January they paid 650 in rent but then undertook more work to the house in lieu of paying rent.

Situation 2 : Our friend has been living in the house for the past 4-5 weeks WITHOUT ANY ELECTRICITY !!! We only found this out last week from him, nearly had to drag it out of him ! .

He was given an electricity account number , ( I`ll call it account A ) by the owner and paid money into that account each month. He did not reveive the bills as he only could show me the strip off the end of one bill ,sent to him by the owner . There was no address , MPRN number or account holder name given to him . He knows that this account is now just over 1,000 euro in credit . The account is registered in the owner`s name .

The reason the electricity was disconnected was because there is a second meter registered at the property with a differen account number , again registered in the owners name with a WHOPPING outstanding balance. The owner is now trying to get my friend and previous tenents to pay towards this in order to get the electricity reconnected . Under no circumstances is he going to pay him any money for that. .. which leaves him without power. He paid into the acount number he was given .

He was not informed by the owner that the final notices were sent and that the power would be disconnected. Power was gone when he arrived home from work and he rang the owner , who maintains once the bill is paid , power will be reconnected.

We worded a message for him and he requested by text, details of the account number he had been paying in to but his request was ignored by the owner .

Another twist .. a friend of his at work contacted the electricity company while my friend was with him and he must have agreed to put the acccount ( account A ) or possibly set up a new account in his own name ( again something we later told him may not have been the best move as he intends getting out of there as soon as he can ) and he now has received a bill for around 600 euro . I have to check if that account number is connected to the MPRN he has been paying for all along ( if that makes sense ? ) , but not sure if the 1000 credit has now disappeared into the ether , otherwise how could he have a bill for 600 ?

He is working off a gas camping stove at the moment and torches around the place , stove heats the place and hot water .

Sorry I haven` t yet got the full picture regarding the new account that was set up but we would be most grateful for how to approach getting this sorted .
Thank you .
And this is why landlords have a bad reputation here.

Perhaps the property couldn't be registered with the RTB as it was in an uninhabitable state before they moved in and carried out those repairs.

File a complaint with Gardai (this is theft); and your friends are clearly being exploited.
File a complaint with RTB - Threshold may be of some help here.
Not easy in this environment, but find somewhere else to live as quickly as possible; this situation is not going to improve quickly.

Perhaps the property couldn't be registered with the RTB as it was in an uninhabitable state before they moved in and carried out those repairs.
If it's in an uninhabitable state, the law says you can't have tenants in, writing off rent in lieu of work does not allow the landlord to ignore the legislation.

Back