Temporary Contracts/Maternity Leave

H

HealthJob

Hi,

I've been working as a therapist with the hse for over two and a half years on a variety of fixed term contracts. I've been in my current post for 2 years in april 09 and my last contract was a 6mth one which brings me up until Feb 28th. the thing is I'm pregnant and will start my maternity leave on 21st of Feb (this has not been approved yet). Just wondering if there is (1) any way they are able to NOT renew my contract because they've been renewing it on short term contracts for the past two years. Nothing about me or the job has changed, if fact they invested 6,000 euro in further training for me which will continue until December 2009 beyond the date of the end of my latest contract. Contacted union and they said not to worry and that they 'can't touch me' but cant help stressing.

All help appreciated, thanks!

You should either have a Fixed Term or Specific Purpose contract not contracts which are being turned around whioch appears to be the case here.

What is the the purpose of your contract?

Hello!

I am employed as a community therapist in a single-handed post. I am part of a multi-disciplinary team on which there is at least one of each discipline including myself. I provide a service to a large population of clients with various difficulties. My contract is fixed term and about 6 months (end of previous contract) into the job I got another six month contract which was then renewed to a two month contract and then renewed again to another 6 month one, all for the same post???? No fixed purpose as the job is ongoing and if I wasnt in it it would mean no service for that area.

Thanks.

You may now have rights under the Fixed Term Workers as they are required to tell you why the job is not being made permanent. Now this may be a fundng issue and.

Your manager should be able to tell you why they are only issueing fixed term contracts. If not then you shoudl contact your HR department.

Back