Motor temporary car insurance ?

PyritePete

I was in an accident with another vehicle, one week before my insurance expired. Nobody injured thankfully, just trying to get insurance for hire car until my car is repaired.

No insurance company (bar Allianz) will even quote me for a new policy, until the claim is settled. In the meantime, I need a car for work etc.

Is there something like, I have temporary insurance with my "current" insurance provider until the claim is settled, because I notified them before my insurance expired ? I have heard this from a few people but wanted to check if its true.

Failing this, can I arrange temporary car insurance for hire car. any references for temporary car insurance ?

Thanks,
Pete.

No. If you didnt renew your insurance policy you have no cover. There is no one in the market that will do short term policies. ARB used to offer 3 month policies a few years ago but not anymore. Why did you not renew your insurance if your car wasn't written off and you would get it back?

You will just have to take the insurance that the car hire company offers otherwise.

agree with peteb.

you should go back to your previous insurers. they MUST give you a quote.

thanks for the replies. I did get a lot of quotes in before the accident and was just about to review them with the cost comparison checklist from itsyourmoney.ie, like I do every year.

The reason I didn't renew with my previous insurer is, after I informed them about the accident, the best policy they could get would mean my premiums going up 50% and Allianz were miles better - ie. would still keep my 5 year no claims, better policy all round including the price.

So if Allianz were still miles better why didnt you renew the policy when you knew you would have your car back at a later date?

Allianz wont cover me until the claim is settled (as I have above in my 1st post) and they need written proof of cost/damage etc. THat could take another week or more.

My previous insurer have done very little since I notified them of the accident - I called them on monday, was told that a claims handler would be in touch. By friday I hadn't heard so I called them again & was told that SOMEONE should have contacted me within 48hours of notifying them & they would be in touch again on monday with the name/details of an assessor. THis never happened so I called them again on monday and was transferred to the underwriters and then back to Assess Ireland and eventually got the name of the assessor.

10 days for the assessor to come out, is not good enough. I strongly suspect that my previous insurer feels I wont renew with them, so they have done damn-all for me even though I have been with them for years.

Thanks for the replies...

Back