Technical analysis fact or fiction?

T

Tippy

Just like to hear people's opinion on this. Is it possible to prove either side of the debate?

Just like to hear people's opinion on this. Is it possible to prove either side of the debate?

Well - the way i see it there are 2 schools of thought on technical analysis.

Predictive (triangles,elliots,fiobanacci etc,) and reactive (trend following).

With both you can hav a certain element of self fulfilling prophecy given that you can have a large amount of people looking at some technical signal and all acting the same way once it occurs.

SO putting that aspect of it aside, I haven't done any real proper research on the predictive side.
But if you're asking for my gut instinct then i think no. (strongly suspect that in fact)

As for trend following, I think that basically it gives you a value bet.
A bit like getting 5/4 on teh flip of a coin off a bookie.

Identify enough value bets and use proper money management then you can develop a system that produces a positive expectancy.

Of course - whatever system you use it is absolutely doomed for failure if you do not employ proper money management.

The simple support and resistance stuff seems to work fairly well. I'm not too good on more complex stuff ! ;)

I suppose the basis for technical analysis is that if a large number of people are following it, it becomes a self full filling prophecy.

Back