Teaching a child to cycle

TarfHead

My son, soon to be 5, is quite comfortable cycling his bike with stabilisers.
I want to help him make further progress.

Should I ..
  • remove one stabliser before eventually removing the second ?
  • adjust both to leave them higher off the ground so that he learns to balance bike properly ?
As far as I can remember, I was placed on a bike and pushed forward and learned by mistakes, but I'd prefer the little bloke to progress in a more gradual way.

Thanks

We have been raised the stabilisers a few times and #1 was well impressed when he noticed that his stabilisers were no longer making noise because he wasn't using them - in other words he had got the hang of the balancing thing without trying or noticing.

During the summer we plan on taking them off altogether, but the fact that he now knows he can get the balance right should help him want to try with no stabilisers.

z

I think it's the same 'jump' a child makes when moving from jogging from one chair to another to full fledged walking. I think it's something they just to. It needs you and your partner to mark a reaonable start and end point for the journey rather than a step-wise approach. Best of look and be prepared with the camera :)

This is a little way away for me and Cubbear, but as far as I remember Papabear just removed stabalisers and gave me a push. You might try this on a green area or the beach if possible to avoid scraped knees and elbows, you dont want them scared off.

In no time at all I had a BMX and was zooming over ramps and some naive volunteers who lay down under it!! And to think now they wont let the kids run around in school........

This worked for my little girl last year....

Find a slightly sloped path or drive way.
Take off the stabilisers completly.
Give her a little push but tell her not to pedal, just keep feet on pedals
Run along side and catch her, or get her to put feet to ground if she goes to fall.
After she could balance (about 7-8 time after she did this excercise) tell her to try pedelling while you walk/run along behind.....
She learned in less than 30 mins....

Good luck..... it's such a joy !!!!

D

buy him a unicycle with stabilisers. if he can balance on that thing, then two wheels won't be a problem.

seriously though, try on flat grassy areas and just let them go. make sure to make a joke when they fall off and try and keep up with them just in case.

are you sure you want to take the stabilisers off? before you know it they'll be wanting to cycle to town and then down mountains at 100 miles an hour, I know I was.

i've recently got back into cycling from being a pretty serious amateur road racer a few years back. i have to say the roads in Dublin are appalling and the traffic is terrifying. it's almost mad to try the quays at certain times. I'd like to know where the extra 200 kilometres of bike track the government said it was laying is. its a disaster

After my impending house move I should be in a position to cycle to work about 16 miles round trip, which I am looking forward to.

I taught my son and daughter to ride without stabilisers with lots of encouragement, running alongside, promises of rewards, patience and perseverence on concrete and tarmac without any major mishaps.

My daughter is now eight and we cycle 1.5 miles each way to school each day in heavy traffic. She is the only one in the entire school who cycles! My son cycles on his own and he is the only one out of circa. 800 pupils in his school. He goes everywhere on his bike and is almost totally independent when it comes to getting from A to B. I cycle on every journey up to four miles each way and it is the best thing I ever decided to do. I sail past traffic, keep very fit, do my bit for the environment and save on fuel costs. I have just ordered a new trekking hybrid complete with front and rear panniers from a mail-order company and aim to do my weekly grocery shopping on it.

Back