VHI Teachers Plan - appears to be terrible value

gnf_ireland

Hi all,
I was talking to my parents this weekend and it appears they are on the Teachers Plan with VHI. The cost per adult per year is ~1680 euro. Going through the benefits of it, it appeared to be relatively poor value for money in my view, but would like others view on the same.

I compared it to Simply Connect Plus from Laya as its the one I am most familiar with.
The Teachers Plan is nearly 500 euro more expensive or 38.8%

Outpatients is much better with Simply Connect Plus - an excess of 1 euro and much more included in the scheme. Teachers Plan seems to have very little outpatient cover

In-Patient wise, my parents would be happy with semi private room in a private hospital level. They are Galway based, so interesting that Teachers Plan has excesses for Galway Clinic, which is a negative against it. I accept there is a one off excess per year of 150 euro, but that is easily covered out of the 500 euro saving.

Am I missing anything here?

BTW - any other plan recommendations for my parents (~70 year olds, no known health conditions and have had health insurance for years. Semi Private in Private hospital sufficient, and will have travel insurance if they go overseas)

An alternative plan with VHI, with similar cover to Teachers, but including good outpatient cover is as follows;

VHI PMI 42 15; price 1648pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover (full cover for Galway Clinic) no inpatient excess as before, good day to
day cover included but for people over 65 yrs there is a 2 year wait before these extra benefits are allowable. This plan will increase in price to
1740pa from 2nd January 2017, so the current price would apply to your parents.

[broken link removed]

Simply Connect Plus is a good alternative option with good day cover allowable straight away with no waiting, regardless of age.
Just to note, there is a 500 euro limit for outpatient expenses per person per year, ie 50% of 1000 = 500. This figure of 500 also includes
x-rays, ultrasounds etc. MRI scans are treated separately, and are not part of this 500 limit per year.

An alternative option with Laya worth considering is 'Simplicity' plan; price 1087pa; (a 3% charge is applied if you pay by installments)
This plan covers public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, max excess 100 x 2 per year for private/hi-tech admissions, day case excess 50 per visit,good day to day cover included - note, the first 100 not allowed per person. There is a total outpatient limit per year of 7650 per person.
No waiting applies for outpatient cover, regardless of age.
This plan also covers a private room in a private hospital - note there would be a 2 year upgrade wait, just in respect of any pre-existing conditions
for this extra cover. New conditions would be covered for a private room in a private hospital straight away.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Back