tax returns

lyonsa3

when exactly are tax return due? my wife has recently become self employed (7 months ago) and we have a second property which we rent out. This will be our first year filing tax returns. We have been in contact with an accountant earlier this year (he has the details) to do the returns and what i would like to know is should the accountant be getting in touch with us or do we have to get on to him? So far we havent heard from him.

For the year 31 December 2006, Income tax returns are due by 31 October 2007. A diligent accountant should be contacting you, however if you are worried you should call him and ask how they are getting on.

As your wife did not become self employed until 2007 she will prob have her first set of accounts prepared up to 31/12/07 which you would not be liable to tax upon until 31/10/2008. You would however have to file return before end of oct showing rental income from hse and whatever other income you had in 2006 (ie P60s). If i were you i would bring these details into accountant as soon as possible as come the end of oct things get abit rushed.

Back