Tax Relief on Tuition Fees

Reilstone78

Hi AAM,

I'm looking for advice on claiming tax relief on tuition fees for my wife. I'll try and summarise the scenario. It's a bit of a mess!!

2 Years P/T Masters paid for as follows:

Year 1: €1.4k deposit paid by my Wife from her account to secure the course

Year 1: €8000 course/tuition fees gifted via a cheque from my Wife's Mother. Money lodged to wife's account and bank draft to the college for Year 1 fees.

Year 2: €3000 course/tuition fees paid by my Wife's Mother via a bank transfer directly to the college bank account

All receipts are now in my Wife's name.

Year 1: 9.4k
Year 2: 3k

We are jointly assessed so my question is who can claim the tax relief? Also my Wife was unwell for a period of the course and was unable to work, she was on Illness Benefit for a portion of the course, will this impact anything?

I'm aware of the Max of 7k per annum minus the disregarded amount based on the P/T course status.

Thanks in advance, all advice would be must welcome.

Reilstone.
Dont over complicate your situation. I take it you have receipts for the fees paid. No expert on taxes but submit. The fact that your wife was unwell is not relevant. Such fees are allowed regardless of income level. The fees were paid. Tax relief is allowed for same. For any type of relief regarding tax that anybody feels that they are entitled to submit. If its not valid revenue will just refuse.

Reilstone.
Dont over complicate your situation. I take it you have receipts for the fees paid. No expert on taxes but submit. The fact that your wife was unwell is not relevant. Such fees are allowed regardless of income level. The fees were paid. Tax relief is allowed for same. For any type of relief regarding tax that anybody feels that they are entitled to submit. If its not valid revenue will just refuse.

Thanks DCD.

Back